Old 05-13-2008, 11:53 PM

Default 'Youth Without Youth' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh's review of 'Youth Without Youth' is up. He says the film is a
disappointment, but this Blu-ray has excellent picture and sound. Give it
a rent.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/386/...houtyouth.html
Old 05-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Superb review Josh. I will give this movie a rent.

I have a question, when you said:
Quote:
While technically only encoded in 5.1 format, the track will also pan with pinpoint precision through a full 7.1 speaker configuration if decoded with ProLogic IIx processing.
Does that mean that the TrueHD will not be affected at all? LMK.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelll View Post
Does that mean that the TrueHD will not be affected at all? LMK.
It won't affect the lossless nature of the track, if that's what you mean. The ProLogic IIx will just steer the surround channels through center back speakers if you have them.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It won't affect the lossless nature of the track, if that's what you mean. The ProLogic IIx will just steer the surround channels through center back speakers if you have them.
Thank you for your reply. Yeah that's what I thought. I have the Yamaha RX-V1800 and I want to test that out.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM

Default Possible Spoilers

Wow, I did not think I was going to dig this film based (stupidly) on critics reviews, and I'm soooooo glad I gave it a chance!

I thought it rocked!

1 part Unbreakable

1 part Heroes

2 parts WWII drama

1 part South Asian mysticism

and you get Youth Without Youth.

I was floored by this film. I read so many reviews about how awful, incoherent, and pretentious this film was--I had almost no desire to see it. I Netflixed it and it was on!

I totally enjoyed it, the cast, music, etc....

I shall have to buy this one. The revelation is the woman that plays the female lead. Alejandra Maria Lara is GORGEOUS. She's at least 6 feet tall and it's kind of funny when Tim Roth stands next to her, she towers over him.

Likewise, the Matt Damon character is probably a transplant from The Good Shepherd--very cool.

Even though this was shot on a low budget, every dollar is up on that screen. The opening credits give it the feel of an old 30's picture.

I don't know, some people will love it (I did) other will hate it. All I know is that I will be buying it after I finish typing this review.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:59 PM

For this to have near reference quality AND for there to be so few replies implies it must be a stinker that few want to risk buying (renting? at least cheez avenger delivered an opposing review). I'm considering adding it to my 5 Blu-ray Sony Card offer..I figure there's not much to lose for the price of FREE.

The plotline does sound like it stretches reality to the point of being sickening, which is why I wonder if getting something like Black Book as a substitute would be a better freebie.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
For this to have near reference quality AND for there to be so few replies implies it must be a stinker that few want to risk buying (renting? at least cheez avenger delivered an opposing review). I'm considering adding it to my 5 Blu-ray Sony Card offer..I figure there's not much to lose for the price of FREE.

The plotline does sound like it stretches reality to the point of being sickening, which is why I wonder if getting something like Black Book as a substitute would be a better freebie.

Either flick you get, you'll have a winner.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:38 PM

Thanks, I ended up getting both. The Other Boleyn Girl ended up on the chopping block.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Thanks, I ended up getting both. The Other Boleyn Girl ended up on the chopping block.
Good man!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the recommendation cheez! i'm gonna look into this, was put off by so many bad reviews as well, even though it is Coppola, seems like I see eye to eye on your taste in movies though.
from your desciption thats exactly my kinda movie.