Lonesome Dove Update - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM

Default Lonesome Dove Update

I grabbed this bit of info off the web this morning:

"RHI Entertainment and distributor Genius Entertainment have announced a new "2-disc collector's edition" coming to both SDVD and Blu-ray, of the original 1989 Lonesome Dove mini-series. The classic production stars Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Diane Lane, Angelica Huston, Frederic Forrest, Danny Glover, Robert Urich, Chris Cooper, and Steve Buscemi, and comes out in this new version on August 19th.

The episodes have been digitally remastered for the first time, and as such are presented for the first time in widescreen, and with 5.1 Surround Sound. Both the DVD and Blu-ray versions will come in collectible "O-Ring" packaging. These two versions will also include the following bonus material:

1. The Making Od An Epic (50 min.). New, never before available featurette.
2. New interview with director Simon Wincer.
3. Lonesome Dove Montage with Original Score by Basil Poledouris.
4. Original interviews on the set with Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Chris Cooper, Diane Lane, and the rest of the cast.
5. Photo gallery of Lonesome Dove original sketches, casting notes, etc.
6. Collectible reprint of the original t.v. poster.
7. Hand written letter from director Simon Wincer.

Additionally, the Blu-ray version also notes a "Full 6-hour commentary from director Simon Wincer" among the extras which is not listed among the supplements on the SDVD edition.

Package art is not available for either version yet. The Blu-ray disc release of Lonesome Dove - 2-Disc Collector's Edition has a list price of $39.92. However, you can pre-order from Amazon for $27.99 as of this writing. The SDVD edition isn't listed on Amazon yet but will sell for $19.95. DVD Empire is taking pre-orders for the SDVD release for $14.17 at this time."

This looks excellent and I'm heading on over to Amazon to place a pre-order. Here's the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d?...ray%5D&x=0&y=0

Brad

Last edited by Bradster; 05-13-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 PM

Awesome. Helluva western!!

Tommy Lee Jones is excellent. Freddy
Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 PM

While I'm happy it's getting a better release than the old Artisan DVD set, I'm leery of it being presented in widescreen. It may have been shot widescreen and then pan-and-scanned, or they may have just opened up the matte on the director's vision to get a 4x3 version, but considering it was made in 1988/89, I think they're most likely matting the image to get the widescreen.