'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (German Import)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 PM

Default 'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (German Import)' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (German Import)' has been posted. He says it's a fascinating and surreal exploration of a demented mind. Fans of the film will be entranced by the visuals on this German import Blu-ray disc, but they won't be as easily impressed by the fairly standard DTS audio tracks. Unfortunately, the supplements are presented in German and add little relative value for an English speaking importer. For fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1472...rderer_de.html
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 AM

This review was just a copy and paste of the HD-DVD review? or was it actually reviewed again?

I have to say though... It is one of the best Hidef films I own. Very strange film, I had to import the Blu-Ray soon as I started watching it on dvd and got through the fish market scene. I stoped the DVD and went and bought the Blu-Ray off xploited, I had to wait 5 days to finish it.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post
This review was just a copy and paste of the HD-DVD review? or was it actually reviewed again?

I have to say though... It is one of the best Hidef films I own. Very strange film, I had to import the Blu-Ray soon as I started watching it on dvd and got through the fish market scene. I stoped the DVD and went and bought the Blu-Ray off xploited, I had to wait 5 days to finish it.
Nope... I got a hold of the actual BD disc from a generous message board member and thoroughly dug through it. Most of the text is identical to the HD import review simply because the transfer, audio track, and supplements package are the same (and there aren't many ways to say the same thing twice). We knew there were several Blu-ray importers eye-balling this title so we wanted to give it a spin and see how it compared to the HD version that was reviewed.

Thanks as always for posting! It is a great title -- after I had to return this copy to its rightful owner, I jumped online and ordered one for my own collection.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Former Member

I just watched this Friday evening w/ my roommate (who was god awfully annoying during it....she'd keep asking what was what, then would predict things, and when wrong, would try to weasel her way out of them to try to be always right.....god), and I can say it's an upgrade from the dvd, and it looks pretty good, I saw only ONE shot that was SERIOUSLY flat, still, it's worth the price of admission
Old 05-12-2008, 01:53 AM

German review

http://www.blurayreviews.ch/reviews/...ray-review.htm

Quote:
+ Positive:
-- Very good picture on the only weak contrast / black level fails.
-- Focus on value through a very high level.
-- Both distance as well as close-ups are always very detailed.
-- Despite many color filter is the color reproduction usually quite good and natural.
-- Many recordings are very plastic and offer a good depth effect.
-- Negative:
-- Contrast / black level are simply a disaster .**
-- Light loss detail in dark scenes.
-- Image plasticity suffers untder the poor contrast / black level.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
Nope... I got a hold of the actual BD disc from a generous message board member and thoroughly dug through it. Most of the text is identical to the HD import review simply because the transfer, audio track, and supplements package are the same (and there aren't many ways to say the same thing twice). We knew there were several Blu-ray importers eye-balling this title so we wanted to give it a spin and see how it compared to the HD version that was reviewed.

Thanks as always for posting! It is a great title -- after I had to return this copy to its rightful owner, I jumped online and ordered one for my own collection.
Glad to help, and glad you enjoyed it so much. . I remember seeing the trailer with 'Night At the Museum' and wanted to see it then. I forgot about it until I just happened to see it at the vigi store. It blew my mind when I seen it. It was a lot better that I thought it would be. It's in my top 20 I'm still suprised by the end every time I watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
I just watched this Friday evening w/ my roommate (who was god awfully annoying during it....she'd keep asking what was what, then would predict things, and when wrong, would try to weasel her way out of them to try to be always right.....god), and I can say it's an upgrade from the dvd, and it looks pretty good, I saw only ONE shot that was SERIOUSLY flat, still, it's worth the price of admission
Wow just now watching it? You've had yours, like a week more than me. I done sent it for the review and got it back, after I watched it. Through it in as soon as I received it.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
ONE shot that was SERIOUSLY flat
Was that the first scene? The first scene looked so broken up and undetailed (dont know the langauge ) I was worried the whole film was going to look like that. Very glad it wasnt it.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Former Member

no, cadrian, the first scenes weren't great, but midway through (will have to pop it back in sometime to pinpoint), for a 5 second or so shot, it was unbelievably dull and flat.

Randell, you loves pointing out when you done sent 'em in for review, don'tcha? lol I'm just teasing, though. Yes, it takes me some time to get to a title, as COD4 takes up my movie time, and right now, there's quite a bit of debacles I'm handling (not discussing publicly or privately due to their nature). I'm watching 3-4 blu's a week, but getting in 10 to 20 a week, so the backlog prevents me from seeing some titles fast.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
Whoever said this is dead on. The black levels are disastrous, but otherwise a great picture. In fact, the black levels are so poor, I'm going to have to take this into account when gaging the accuracy of Kenneth's reviews.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:43 AM

The PQ looks pretty great. Many people have complained about the blacks looking milky, but this could partly be an effect of the film's low-lighting photography. Darker scenes generally appear more grayish due to the lack of contrast; you need to have bright areas in order to have deep shadows. Also, the ability to see into these shadows was important to the director. That's not to say that contrast couldn't have been improved here—it probably could have been. If I saw this in theaters (and I really wish I did) I'd have a better idea of what actually constitutes as "black" here. In any case, it's generally a bad idea to judge the shadows by comparing them to the black bars on the top and bottom of an HDTV screen. My main gripe is that compression artifacts can sometimes be prominently seen within these shadow areas.

As for the film itself, I give it a 5/5. It's easily one of the most beautifully filmed movies in recent history.

Last edited by esl88; 09-29-2009 at 02:56 AM.