has anyone yet been hit by a lazy/stupid ebayer? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Former Member

Default has anyone yet been hit by a lazy/stupid ebayer?

I thought, for sure, that with ebay's stock picture and easy lookup on media products, that moronic sellers would click on blu versions instead of dvd versions, and eventually I'd get stuck, but so far, I've been very lucky. when i see low prices, too low on BIN to be true, i feedback search to see if they've sold HDM before, and i guess so far that's worked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chain-Reaction-2...QQcmdZViewItem

Does ANYONE think this was actually the blu-ray version, considering the price and utter lack of description? and has anyone ordered an hd or blu on ebay and got stuck w/ a crap ass dvd?
Old 05-11-2008, 04:30 PM

I actually had the opposite happen. This seller had the Matrix Trilogy listed as DVD, but the pics showed HD DVD. I just asked if the trilogy she was selling was actually the ones pictured and she said yes. So, I bid and was the only one. Got a great deal and they were actually the HDs.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Well it says it's a Blu Ray and nothing indicates that it isn't. These discs are usually from bulk lots that these sellers get cheaply. Or he thought that the price would be higher. The lower the starting bid the more people are eager to try and get it. If there is little interest in it the seller has to accept that.
I've gotten items off ebay that go wayy below their usual asking price. I recently got a very rare original poster for just over 11 bucks and then the week after I saw two of them on Ebay from different sellers, one for 100 bucks the other 300 bucks. So it happens.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:36 PM

A long time ago, in a country far far away, i decided to get rid of some vhs tapes, the main one being the first 30-40 tapes of babylon 5.

So i made the listing, mentioning PAL multiple times to be sure, and a real low starting price

after a few days two americans got into a bidding war, so i emailed them both to be sure they understood they were pal, anyhow one won paying more than they cost in the uk shops, was considering buying some more next time i was over there but decided against it, just in case

anyhow shipped the items via fedex, then i get the email saying they were all blank......

No they're PAL,

Pal, i'm not your pal, you sent me 30 blank tapes

No PAL its a format, europs use for vhs

and so on......

in the end i told him to buy a compatible player
Old 05-12-2008, 12:27 AM

I won a copy of firewall on HD DVD nearly 2 years ago. It was listed as an HD DVD and had the HD stock picture. I got it for $4 or $5. When I received it, not only was it a regular DVD, but a pirated copy as well. Live and learn.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
A long time ago, in a country far far away, i decided to get rid of some vhs tapes, the main one being the first 30-40 tapes of babylon 5.

So i made the listing, mentioning PAL multiple times to be sure, and a real low starting price

after a few days two americans got into a bidding war, so i emailed them both to be sure they understood they were pal, anyhow one won paying more than they cost in the uk shops, was considering buying some more next time i was over there but decided against it, just in case

anyhow shipped the items via fedex, then i get the email saying they were all blank......

No they're PAL,

Pal, i'm not your pal, you sent me 30 blank tapes

No PAL its a format, europs use for vhs

and so on......

in the end i told him to buy a compatible player
That guy sounds like a real retard who doesn't know how to read.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:09 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

i had orderd and bid on what was advertised as a sealed brand new hd dvd copy of rumor has it i spent 14.95 plus shipping on it, the seller took forever to get it to me and when it finally came it was actually a badly scratched blockbuster video ppv DVD in the horrible blockbuster video dvd case. his idea of it being sealed was to tape the sides closed with clear shipping tape.

i filed a complaint with ebay and with paypal, in the end pay pal sided with him inspite of me sending pics showing how this clown ripped me off.
even after 20 other people left negative feedback for the same thing involving either hd dvds or bluray auctions. and ebay canceled his account paypal still sided with him in not giving me a refund of my money.paypal never explained to me in detail why my claim wasnt decided in my favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
I thought, for sure, that with ebay's stock picture and easy lookup on media products, that moronic sellers would click on blu versions instead of dvd versions, and eventually I'd get stuck, but so far, I've been very lucky. when i see low prices, too low on BIN to be true, i feedback search to see if they've sold HDM before, and i guess so far that's worked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chain-Reaction-2...QQcmdZViewItem

Does ANYONE think this was actually the blu-ray version, considering the price and utter lack of description? and has anyone ordered an hd or blu on ebay and got stuck w/ a crap ass dvd?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:50 AM

This is iffy, but since it was one of the free Blu-rays listed, it wouldn't surprise me if it were that cheap, some of those go as low as 8 dollars shipped on some sites.

I would never purchase from something so uninformed with information. It appears someone got it, so I wonder if we'll ever find out about if it were the Blu or just the DVD.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tons of puppies View Post
This is iffy, but since it was one of the free Blu-rays listed, it wouldn't surprise me if it were that cheap, some of those go as low as 8 dollars shipped on some sites.

I would never purchase from something so uninformed with information. It appears someone got it, so I wonder if we'll ever find out about if it were the Blu or just the DVD.

Well, I won the auction along with Swordfish, The Patriot, and American Psycho. All from the same seller, all for $2 each (but no shipping discount, so I'm paying $19.80 for shipping and $8 for the discs). I'll let you know when they come in if I got a good deal or got ripped.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 AM

Update:

All 4 were Blu Rays. I did have someone in a separate auction sell me a Wicker Man SD instead of the HD DVD, and someone else sent a Blades of Glory SD instead of the Blu Ray. In both cases, the buyer just told me to keep them instead of sending them back and refunding me.