I'm going to have to put a tarp behind me when Speed Racer hits Blu-ray. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-11-2008, 03:21 AM

Default I'm going to have to put a tarp behind me when Speed Racer hits Blu-ray.

My mind is going to be blown all over the wall.

Saw Speed Racer last night and loved it. Even more than Iron Man. Had one of the best climaxes that I've seen in years.

What did you guys think?
Old 05-11-2008, 03:36 AM

Default You and me both.

Wow, don't let the "PG" rating turn you off. The subtext is undeniable. Fast cars, politics, corruption, and last but certainly not least, hot women in TIGHT outfits! I don't really care for Cristina Ricci, she's funny looking to me, but was severely fuckable in this flick.

The visuals was cool, and sound design was incredible. I smell several oscar nominations for the technical crew.

The entire cast were great, and meshed really well with their cg surroundings.

The two things that stood out (besides the women) was the production and costume design--which I'll wager, will be nominated for an oscar. It was pop-art come to life.

If you have ADD kids, it will satisfy when the cars are doing their thing but they will most likely act up when the talking starts. We had a few "childrens" in our theater quacking about.

I have faith that this flick will be given the full blown special treatment when released on BD--it was soooo reference!

We saw it on a digital screen in L.A., so the source material was perfect. I'm still buzzing. I have a feeling this will become one of those films (like cheech and chong) to get drunk/stoned too--lots of pretty colors.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:56 AM

Took my little boy to see this one I was good really good
Old 05-11-2008, 04:00 AM

I liked it...this should be demo material for all blu players when this comes out in blu...eventually.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:17 AM
Banned

The trailers look goofy and stupid. I have to say I'm not remotely interested.

35% on the tomatometer tells me most people thought it turned out that way.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:23 AM
O_o

I just got home and saw Speed Racer: THE IMAX EXPERIENCE, absolutely loved it. Looked fantastic on that huge screen. I agree with everyone so far who has seen it. It is visually awesome, very futuristic (boy I'd love to live in that world lol) and just amazing. I hope this is a 2-disc edition with tons of extras on BD. So much fun, very fast, loved it!
Old 05-11-2008, 04:28 AM

I didn't like this movie much; I was excited to see it, but came out severely disappointed. There's a lot to love, especially the races; I mean, omg, the Crucible was one of the coolest scenes in the movie.

Unfortunately, much of the movie was either super lame, boring, or outright cheesy. There's a scene where main character's younger brother and chimpanzee (WTF IS UP WITH THE STUPID CHIMP) act out a scene from some anime show. There's a fight scene with our main characters vs some ninja, which was hilariously bad. There's this scene where the bad guys beat up this one dude who's so ugly I couldn't even tell if he was male or female for several minutes (although I suppose this is a hallmark of anime). And so on and so on.

Outside of the races, the world looked like a cross between anime (I suppose you could justify this as an homage to the original series, but despite how hard the Wachowski brothers try to translate the conventions, styles, and techniques of anime to live action, it just doesn't look right) and Willy Wonka land. No, I'm not talking about the classic, heartwarming 1971 movie called Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory starring Gene Wilder, I'm talking about the 2005 abomination by Tim Burton called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp starring as a freak who looks more like a pedophile than a magical confectionary genius.

But I digress. The thing is, the races looked amazing. I'll say it right now, this movie is demo disk material. I'm no movie picture quality judging expert, but the race scenes were so awesome that there's no way this thing isn't getting five stars on PQ. In fact, if I ever touch this movie, it'll be just for the races. These scenes are so beautifully done, so extravagent, so eye-popping, that I bet they could induce seizures.

So bottom line: somewhat weak story made even weaker by really bad dialogue, but the races totally make up for it. This movie will be beautiful on Blu-ray.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:03 AM

I'm interested just because of Matthew Fox as Racer X alone.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:41 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

the movie was awesome, i saw it thursday morning when it was screened before work, and wow was i surprised.
i was totally expecting this movie be horrible. was i ever wrong, i agree with the above post about the climax.

it was awesome on that 90ft screen in 2k DLP projection.
today when i was watching bits on my break the crowds were clapping and cheering durring some of the big races.

this is another one of those movies where the trailers have done zero justice for the movie.

check it out you will be pleasantly surprised
Old 05-11-2008, 08:29 AM

Still not sure if I want tosee this move. Transformers ruined seeing movies that were based on cartoons for me.