'Ozzfest: 10th Anniversary' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Default 'Ozzfest: 10th Anniversary' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'Ozzfest: 10th Anniversary' is up. He says this is a
nice souvenir for fans, featuring some pretty good tunes by Rob
Zombie, Wicked Wisdom, Velvet Revolver, and a reformed Black Sabbath,
but the show is far from complete, with many of the tour's top
headliners AWOL. This Blu-ray's video is fine, the audio is plain
jane, and the supplements are nothing special. Worth a rent.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1423...niversary.html
Old 05-09-2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the review!

I'm getting the Motley Crue Blu-ray which is likely to be of similar calibre. At least it is not totally bad. Since I don't own the DVD I'm sure i'll be happy. I may pick up the Ozzfest one too at some point.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:41 PM

You're not alone in regards to Ozzy. Unfortunately, he lost every drop of dignity, and respect from a lot of fans, when he signed up to be on that MTV show. Also, as a performer, well, his age, and probably substance abuse, has been showing for a long time. If you watch "Live and Loud" and compare it to "Live at Budokan", you'd get a night and day difference.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:38 PM

Ha! I was at the show with Iron Maiden when Sharon kept pulling the plug on them while they were playing. I don't remember what Bruce was saying exactly, but it was something like, "we're a real heavy metal band, you won't find us on some stupid tv show!" So Sharon pulls the plug on them I think 3 or 4 times in the middle of their songs, and then afterwards she comes out and starts saying "Iron Maiden is great, but Bruce has never respected us or Ozzfest, blah blah blah" and everyone was booing her like crazy. It was pretty hilarious.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:54 PM

That's a very weak setlist for something as prestigious as the 10th anniversary of Ozzfest. It's cool Anthrax made it on the disc, though.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 PM

yea caught in a mosh is a sick song, among the living was anthrax best album. i'm happy to see the haunted,,i f-ing love them. i am picking this up just for bury your dead alone....
Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 PM

I agree that the setlist looks pretty awful. That and the lack of lossless is placing this low on my rental priority.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM

Thumbs down

That's too bad.... I believe I shall cancel my Amazon order. I really was hoping that it would have lossless audio. I have Ozzfest 2002 on SACD, and the audio on that one is spectacular! So it is possible. But it sounds like WEA doesn't really get it yet, that the audio bandwidth available on blu-ray makes it a shoe-in replacement of SACD as the high definition audio medium of choice! With pristine high definition video thrown in as a bonus. The Motley Crue blu-ray from the same source suffers the same: 1080i video and extremely mediocre, compressed audio.

Thanks for the review.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priapism View Post
That's too bad.... I believe I shall cancel my Amazon order. I really was hoping that it would have lossless audio. I have Ozzfest 2002 on SACD, and the audio on that one is spectacular! So it is possible. But it sounds like WEA doesn't really get it yet, that the audio bandwidth available on blu-ray makes it a shoe-in replacement of SACD as the high definition audio medium of choice! With pristine high definition video thrown in as a bonus. The Motley Crue blu-ray from the same source suffers the same: 1080i video and extremely mediocre, compressed audio.

Thanks for the review.
Ozzfest 2002's CD was incredible, one of the best live albums ever, as well as 2001's.

Outside of a few songs this disc, this lineup seems pretty abysmal. They actually dared to put Wicked Wisdom on this? Actually, scratch that, the whole fact that Bowling for Soup was invited for playing at Ozzfest is a complete joke in its own right.

I am in favor of supporting the release of metal concerts on BD, but this is not a worthy purchase at all based on the setlist. The lack of Iron Maiden is completely unforgivable, seeing as Maiden was the main headline of 2005 and the biggest reason to why it wasn't a complete failure. I know about the Sharon thing, but egos aside, something as big as the 10th anniversary of Ozzfest needed to have been done properly, but didn't get the treatment it deserved at all. So this seems like a pass, unless it goes on sale and is priced like the other concert videos have been at recently.

I just recently found out this was released on DVD a long time ago to a pretty big negative reaction, and that doesn't seem all that surprising.

Last edited by tons of puppies; 05-12-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM

I just canceled my pre order as well. The way it seemed laid out especially after seeing that weak set list on it was a reason enough for me to cancel.