'Saawariya' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-08-2008, 12:56 AM

Default 'Saawariya' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'Saawariya' has been posted. He says it's a visually
breathtaking film, one with some fine music, engaging characters, and
a winning romantic charm. This Blu-ray is a must-see, with five star
video and similarly well done audio. Supplements are lacking, but this
is still worth a look to see how good Blu-ray can truly look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1317/saawariya.html
Old 05-08-2008, 02:05 AM
O_o

I just rented this, and about to watch it. Sounds good, I can't wait.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 AM
Former Member

well the 5 star video review clinched it for me. that always screams "look at meeeee!"

23.55 on amazon due to the 10% code that i still be rockin, free ship, not too shabby
Old 05-08-2008, 03:19 AM

Bollywood Films always make me throw up a little in my mouth. I think it's the whole idea of "production design" over "story" that bothers me. My teacher loved them...I still don't know why.

I definitely understand the comparison to Baz Luhrmann. It's pretty much his approach in a nutshell.

P.S. I find his films to be downright terrible.

Anyway...

The 5 star video has me intrigued. However, most Bollywood films are beautiful...that's the inherent nature of the culture; Great costumes, great architecture, beautiful women...etc. If the films looked bad, then the world would make fun of them. I mean really...it can't be hard to make India look great.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

Last edited by twonunpackmule; 05-08-2008 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:21 AM

Im gonna give this one a rent
Old 05-08-2008, 11:27 AM

I watch Bollywood films because I'm Indian. But, listen to me very carefully. THere are some films that aren't worth the time.

I know, there is like maybe two at most films that are awesome.

Here is the list of directors to watch out for, and these are directors that are in the Spielberg and Cameron kind of calibur, so here is the list:

Yash Chopra
Aditya Chopra
Karan Johar
Sanjay Leela Bansali

Sanjay Leela Bansali is the director of Saawariya. Now, Saawariya isn't exactly a huge hit back in India, exactly, it bombed, but it did well outside of India. But, if like if Gigli did bad in America but it did well in UK for example (which is probably not true and I'm not comparing Saawariya and Gigli, but you get the picture where it may bomb in it's own country, but may do well in other countries because of the different cultures)

If you want a GREAT introduction to Bollywood cinema, watch all or either of these films

- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)
- Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001)
- Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1996)
- Vee-Zaara

These three films are examples that are similar to how we wait for say a Spielberg movie or a Peter Jackson movie, not action wise, but in story wise.

The directors I mentioned above are the top notch directors that people anticipate their movies for each year.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:11 PM
O_o

Saw the movie, it is visually appealing. The music is good, I loved when Lilipop sang. "The caricature of the face, tra-la" it was just too funny lol It was an enjoyable film, and just a feast for the eyes.

Ending spoiler:
Spoiler
The ending was sad, poor Raj. I knew it was too good to be true, I figured Imaan would show up.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:58 AM

Picked it up today for my mom
Old 05-09-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbolly View Post
Here is the list of directors to watch out for, and these are directors that are in the Spielberg and Cameron kind of calibur, so here is the list:

Yash Chopra
Aditya Chopra
Karan Johar
Sanjay Leela Bansali

If you want a GREAT introduction to Bollywood cinema, watch all or either of these films

- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998)
- Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (2001)
- Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1996)
- Vee-Zaara

These three films are examples that are similar to how we wait for say a Spielberg movie or a Peter Jackson movie, not action wise, but in story wise.

The directors I mentioned above are the top notch directors that people anticipate their movies for each year.
Veer Zaara & Saawariya are certainly not representive of the best from Bollywood. Rather, they represent the kind of cinema that finds favor only with the Indian diaspora lving overseas. People in India dont seem to care too much for the Karan Johar, Sanjay Leela Bhansali type of films anymore. Both of them represent the decay and stagnation of the majority of Bollywood cinema. Their films are the same stereotypical, repetitive mush that keeps being repackaged and recycled for the Indian diaspora. Who seem to be starved for a connection with the India, that they have left behnd decades ago. Guys, India has moved on and it is time that Bollywood starts reflecting that change.

Anyhow, here is my personal choice of movies from the last 15 odd yrs. These films are not neccesarily the very best films from the period, but they are a good representation of the various genres of films from Bollywood.

01. Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge (1995)
02. Taal (1999)
03. Dil Chahta Hai (2001)
04. Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (2001)
05. Lagaan (2001)
06. Monsoon Wedding (2001)
07. Devdaas (2002)
08. Maqbool (2003)
09. Munnabhai M.B.B.S. (2003)
10. Black Friday (2004)
11. Swades (2004)
12. Parineeta (2005)
13. Khosla Ka Ghosla (2006)
14. Lage Raho Munnabhai (2006) (Sequel to Munnabhai M.B.B.S. from 2003)
15. Omkara (2006)
16. Rang De Basanti (2006)
17. Gandhi, My Father (2007)
18. Johnny Gaddar (2008)
19. Taare Zameen Par (2008)
20. Jodha Akbar (2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 08:18 PM

I watched this one tonight and enjoyed it. It's visually absolutely spectacular and sounds great too. Bansali is a real visualist, up there with Ridley Scott and (almost) Tim Burton. Fantastic BD transfer too.

The story itself was decent, fairly typical stuff, and I saw the ending a mile off.

Still, a good transfer and an entertaining movie.