Godfather Restoration? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Default Godfather Restoration?

You all may have heard about the new 4k restoration that was done to the Godfather films--the DVD box-set is being released in the UK on June 2nd. But I find it funny that a Blu-ray version was not announced? I mean what's the point of doing such an expensive restoration and not releasing it on BD concurrently with the DVD release? I wouldn't have hesitated to import it no matter what the cost.
Because of this, I'm tempted to buy the Limited Edition Steel-book version of the restored Godfather trilogy that is up for pre-order at amazon (UK). Should I hold out and wait for the Blu-ray, or buy it? I mean if it's only released on DVD in the UK what chances are there that they will release it on Blu-ray in the US?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:14 PM

The question isn't IF it will be released on BRD in the US, but WHEN. And that's anybody's guess. I would hazard a guess that Paramount would announce a title like that for a Christmas-window release at the earliest; more likely is 1Q or 2Q 2009; but of course it could be later than that, too. But it'll certainly happen at some point, near or far; you're right that a 4K restoration without an HD release at some point would be ridiculous. I'm sure it's on their radar.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 PM

For those interested, the newest issue of American Cinematographer has a lengthy article (with pictures) on the restoration.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 PM

I'm sure they're waiting til BD has sold more.. they do that with all very high profile titles. They want to maximize revenue as much as possible, and they do that by waiting until the user base is larger.

It's coming, I'd expect it first half of 2009, but that's a guess.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:11 PM

Actually, I'm guessing they'll hold off as long as possible to announce the BD version so they can milk the SD version for all they can. Nothing like studios double (triple) dipping these days, and Paramount is the king (and I guess Anchor Bay is the queen) . ..

And to the OP, aside from the double dipping, you may want to consider whether the PAL speedup will affect your enjoyment of the movie. I know I would not be able to sit through the Godfather films with the score playing back at 4% faster than I'm accustomed.

Finally, dvd.co.uk still has a pre-order for The Godfather HD-DVD. I'm assuming that's not happening???
Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Great article about it here - http://www.ascmag.com/magazine_dynam...ocus/page1.php