Is anyone else's best buy putting out next weeks releases? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-06-2008, 12:12 PM

Default Is anyone else's best buy putting out next weeks releases?

I just got back from Best Buy picking up 'Twister' and they had 'Mrs. Doubtfire', 'Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid', 'Shinobi', etc. which are all next weeks releases on the shelves available for purchase. Shinobi was only 19.99. Has anyone seen this release before? I came back to the house to grab more cash so that I could snag up Butch Cassidy and Mrs Doubtfire which I hope are already in the computer at whatever discounted price they plan on launching the titles at, lol. Has anyone else seen this?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 PM

My friend is a manager at BestBuy and he tells me they put out non-big catalog releases as soon as they get them. Not sure if this is like that everywhere.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 PM

They do this all the time. Even Fry's sometimes release things early. I remember seeing Mariah Carey's concert on Blu-Ray about a few days early than the release.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:07 PM

I've never seen anything out early at my Best Buys.. Now I don't go weekly but I've never been lucky to get anything early. I got the remastered Fifth Element 3 weeks early at Wal-Mart when I went to visit a friend in CT last summer, but thats all.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I went back and picked up "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and "Mrs Doubtfire" and whilst I was there I found that they had an open box 46" 6 series Samsung LCD and picked that up for $2049.99 + tax for my brother. All in all, I'd say it was a great day! Looking up for what has been a REALLY shitty week full of family and friends in the Hospital.

I'll post up in a bit what I think of the PQ of the two Blu-rays. I see that Mrs Doubtfire was already reviewed by one site and got a 9 out of 10 so I am looking forward to that one.

The first Blu-ray my brother watched on his new TV is Omega man and we are having a blast looking for people and cars wondering around in the background.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 PM

Butch Cassady seems to be great quality over all. However, at the top and bottom of the frame there is sort of a halo effect. I don't know if that would be considered over exposure or what, but it is more noticeable in dark scenes and can be slightly distracting. I wouldn't be surprised if high def gives it a 4 out of 5 star for video quality; 3.5 at the least.

I don't have a great sound system setup and neither does my brother, so I can't really give you guys an idea of how the sound is.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM

Nothing out early at my Best Buy... being that I am in charge of the Media Dept.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:21 PM

I picked up Mrs. Doubtfire last Fri at BB
Old 05-06-2008, 09:00 PM

i tried to buy beer league at best buy on saturday and they said they couldn't sell it to me since it hadn't been released yet, and it shouldn't have been on the shelf

meanwhile it has been out since the beginning of april
Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 PM

LOL, I went back today and they were all taken off the shelves. I guess they noticed their mistake. Oh well, I got to get it early.