Should I buy Cloverfield now, or alter when its on BD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 PM

Default Should I buy Cloverfield now, or alter when its on BD?

First off, I loved this movie. Its was one of the most Underappreciated films of 07 in my opinon. It gave a Really great Perspective of a Godzilla like movie. But now I have a Dillema, I want to get the movie, but I also dont know if I should wait for the Blu-Ray. I mean, can film thats being shot via a Hand Held Cam Corder really benefit from HD? I kinda have a gutt reaction of no. So im not sure what I should do. Any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 PM

Very good question. All of my future Paramount and Universal purchases are on hold. I would rather have them in HD.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Go ahead and buy it. It's cheap enough now, and since we are into the films more than the HD aspect, it's very much a worthy purchase to get now and check out the alternative endings and bonus features.

We probably won't get it on Blu until Fall, so go ahead and get it like I did.

But yes, this film will greatly be enhanced by HD, since the cameras that shot it were HD cameras. However, with how shaky it was, whether or not true detail can really be appreciated is another. The disc looks quite nice upconverted and will obviously work until a BD is released.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 PM

I say rent now and wait for the Blu-ray to come out, but thats me. Why spend more money on a movie you know youll buy in high def.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesh Drown View Post
First off, I loved this movie. Its was one of the most Underappreciated films of 07 in my opinon.
It came out January 18th, 2008. Now I usually wouldn't harp on this, but for quite some time, that's what the movie was known by. As for under appreciated movies of '07 that used the handheld film approach, I'd go with [REC] . Purely because Sony still hasn't released in America yet.

Sure buy it, it'll only run you like $14 anyway.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Have you seen the 1080p trailer? Yes, this will definitely benefit from high-def. It was filmed with the following cameras were used according to IMDB:

Panasonic AG-HSC1U
Panasonic AG-HVX200
Sony CineAlta F23
Thomson VIPER FilmStream Camera
Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Default FACT: Cloverfield was shot with HD cameras.

Quote:
I mean, can film thats being shot via a Hand Held Cam Corder really benefit from HD? I kinda have a gutt reaction of no.
I've said this in many, many other tread on the subject: CLOVERFIELD was not shot with some camcorder you can go get a Best Buy.

The film used a variety of High Definition cameras as seen here (From IMDb):
Quote:
Tech Specs
Quote:
Camera
Panasonic AG-HSC1U
Panasonic AG-HVX200
Sony CineAlta F23
Thomson VIPER FilmStream Camera
With the exception of the Panasonic AG-HSC1U (which was only used in a few scenes), these are not just some consumer cameras that you can get anywhere. They are extremely expensive and high quality cameras that have been used in many different films.

The VIPER FilmStream was used in the David Fincher film Zodiac and used (partly) in by Michael Mann in Collateral & Miami Vice. These are just a few examples. The CineAlta line is another case of a high quality camera that is used by professionals.

All cameras used in Cloverfield were HD. There was no Standard Definition involved at any point in film. It will look better on Blu-ray - it is a simple fact.

Will it look great? No because it's not a slick film. The film has certain aspects added to it (grain, video noise) that will degrade the quality to a point of not being reference, but nonetheless the film will look better on BD than it does on DVD.

EDIT: Damn! I shouldn't have taken so much time to compose this... I've been beaten to the point.

Last edited by Super-VHS; 04-23-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

I guess it depends on how much your video store charges to rent, I have those grocery store kiosks that rent for $1 a night which is a great deal for me to check out a movie before buying or catching these uni/paramount movies right now..... I would just rent it and buy it later, It's bound to hit the US in HD in one form or another i.e. HD Sat., import etc.

I actually had it in had today and thought for a moment on buying it ( steelbook edition) but I'd rather wait 3-5 months...
Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
First off, I loved this movie. Its was one of the most Underappreciated films of 07 in my opinon. It gave a Really great Perspective of a Godzilla like movie. But now I have a Dillema, I want to get the movie, but I also dont know if I should wait for the Blu-Ray. I mean, can film thats being shot via a Hand Held Cam Corder really benefit from HD? I kinda have a gutt reaction of no. So im not sure what I should do. Any suggestions?
Cloverfield was NOT recorded with handheld camcorders. Thats just the effect that was used to give that it that feeling.

Cloverfield was in fact recorded with top of the line HD cameras. So there is no point in spending the money for the DVD when it will be released on Blu-ray. Paramount just needs to hustle and announce its Blu-ray plans already.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 PM

I don't know man, I saw it for the first time last night (15.97 Wal-Mart) and I loved this movie!!! I'll pick it up if it comes on Blu ray simply for the fact that it'll have all the extras of the many editions that came out I'm guessing. I just got the single disc.