'The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-16-2008, 12:08 AM

Default 'The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'The Water Horse' has been posted. He says it's one of 2007's most underrated gems, a cute family film that's entertaining and uplifting. The Blu-ray sports nice video, good, but less impressive audio, and so-so supplements. Still, 'The Water Horse' is definitely a sleeper and recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1346/waterhorse.html
Old 04-16-2008, 12:44 AM

I'm a sucker these kind of films. So I'll give it a go, as I missed it in the theater.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 AM

Default I suprisingly liked it

The previews that came out before the theatrical run left me with absolutly no desire to see this movie. In fact i had written family movies off completly seeing them degrade into formulic crap. However, afte seeing Millions by Danny Boyl, which was defintly on my top five list for the year, i have begun much more open minded with any film i watch. Anyway the performance of Alex Etel in MILLIONSwas astounding and made the film. The fact that he was in Water Horse made me much more interested in seeing the film.

I personally think Alex Etel is the best child actor out there right now. There is a depth and complexity to his performances that are mind bogginly difficult for even the most expierenced actor. Not to mention piercing blue eyes and angelic like features. Although i will amdit things are gonna changing drasticly to this kid physicaly, as he seems on the verge on puberty if not already there. I still believe has a good future ahead of him.

So in the end i ended up really enjoying water house. There are certainly many problems i had with plot, characters and some inconsistant logic(imho). However Alex's deliful portrayal of a young fatherless boy who befriend a sea horse, the fun dymanic and wonderful cg with cursoe, and the overwhelmingy good heaterd nature of the film won me over i the end. Not great cinema but a fun enjoyable film the whole family can watch together.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:03 AM

As with any movie involving children and animals these days, this film is nothing but environmentalist propaganda with the added bonus of a ridiculous anti-war, anti-military, message woven into it. Oh, and the usual portayal of the clueless, bumbling, overly-aggressive father-figure(s).
5/10 stars.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 AM

not for me.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the good write-up. My kids (ages 6 and 7) have been asking to see the film, but I've shied away after seeing the trailers. Just might give it a shot now.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 PM

Yeah. Everyone's too mature for this movie.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 PM

Hey, im 22 years old and I really enjoyed this film. It brings new life to the tale of the Lochness Monster.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 PM

ah, jolly good, no regions. I'll might be picking it up in the lack of dinosaurs on HD for now, this being the next best thing. (I hope)

Quote:
Such was the fate that befell 'The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep,' which debuted in the United State last December to an almost complete lack of audience interest.
cest la view, maybe the American remake will do better..
Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 PM

I enjoyed the movie. Excellent PQ okay AQ. The story wasn't strong but it was overall entertaining. The creature effects were very impressive. Yeah there is a lots of stereotyping and "politics" woven in but I just ignore it and if you just watch it an turn off your political mind it is a fun movie. The critter effects were quite amazing.