'Space Ace' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-15-2008, 12:01 AM

Default 'Space Ace' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'Space Ace' Has been posted. He says it's a great (and unique) slice of arcade history. This Blu-ray is a successful port, with nicely-remastered video and audio, a few fun supplements, and easy game play. If you're a fan of 'Space Ace,' this is worth checking out.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1377/spaceace.html
Old 04-15-2008, 12:59 AM

This looks interesting. Even with the review though I still have no idea how this works. Screenshots would be nice. It looks like an animated movie that you can control what happens, no?

Also will this 'game' work on my Samsung BD-P1200?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 AM

Basically its a cartoon, and when an "action moment" is going to happen, a yellow flash will light up on a part of the screen, and you push the controller (or pad, or whatever you are using) in the direction of the flash based on your character's position on the screen. If his gun flashes, you need only push the "gun" button to fire it. Pretty simple, yet highly intense. Can't wait for DL2:TW, that game had excellent sequences and great music (Alice in Wonderland, anyone?)
Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 AM

I used to play this and Dragon's Lair at the Chuck E. Cheese back in the day...it was such a rip-off back then, because there were no cues as which way to move. For .50, you got 3 tries to get the right direction (and the timing), so it was like; hit up! (die) hit down! (die) hit left! (die) put 2 quarters in, wait, hit right! (die...not the right timing) hit right!! (die...not quite the right timing) hit right!!! GOT IT!! go to next scene, watch, hit right!! (die) put another .50 in...repeat as often as necessary.
It was an awful, traumatic, frustrating experience for a child...I'm sure this is *much* better,
Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 AM

One correction: Dragon's Lair 2 followed Space Ace by 8 years, not 1 or 2.

The restoration done on the DL Blu-ray was so phenominal that I can't wait to see how Space Ace looks. I was always a huge fan of this game, even though I never did beat the arcade version on Ace mode.

I did, however, eventually get to the point where I could beat the arcade version of DL2: Time Warp on one credit!

JET
Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 AM

I remember another laserdisc game like space ace and dragon's lair that had a guy getting away from a crime with a theft and chasing him at the beginning. It was a cartoon game like the others, but seemed really neat. I was young and I can't remember the datails or the name of the game, but I remember thinking it was the coolest of the three.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogenic View Post
I remember another laserdisc game like space ace and dragon's lair that had a guy getting away from a crime with a theft and chasing him at the beginning. It was a cartoon game like the others, but seemed really neat. I was young and I can't remember the datails or the name of the game, but I remember thinking it was the coolest of the three.

Cliff Hanger. They took footage from two anime Lupin The Third features (The Castle of Cagliostro and one other) and laserdisc-ed it into an arcade game. TCOC is a great movie BTW.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 PM

I'd like to know how this performs on the Panasonic BD30.

Also, Digital Leisure needs to fix the original BD Dragon's Lair sequence problem with a repressing or new release. Good thing Space Ace is fixed.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:28 PM

im guessing this is a cult cartoon..
I wasnt alive at the time,, soo Ill pass.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:41 AM

Very glad to see the positive review for this. Seems to be in limited supply unfortunately; both Amazon and Bestbuy.com are backordered.

And here I thought I wouldn't be playing any games on my PS3