I need Help understanding the No Country for Old Men Ending (Spoiler Warning!) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-14-2008, 01:23 PM

Default I need Help understanding the No Country for Old Men Ending (Spoiler Warning!)

I saw the movie last week, adn I still cant Understand the damn Ending! Seriously it was one of the most WTF ending ive seen in quit a while. I keep trying to figure out what happened and what the ending really meant, but it jsut cant come to me.

(Spoiler) Ok, So the Hitman dude got in a car accident after killing the guys wife, then he walks off with a bone sticking out of his arm and is never seen again, adn tehn the Sheriff is talking about some story of some old dude about makinga Fire or something, tehn the movie ends! WHAT!? are you kidding me! You give me over 2 hours of awesomeness and you end it like that! CURSE YOU COEN BROTHERS!
can someone help me understand.

Last edited by Vesh Drown; 04-14-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:33 PM

I don't usually add smart ass comments but this time I need to. It is The Coen Brothers not COLLEN
Old 04-14-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DeeJ View Post
I don't usually add smart ass comments but this time I need to. It is The Coen Brothers not COLLEN
well soooooorry.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Heres help

Just like every hollywood movie that gets acedemy awards/oscars/whatever, it has a depressing ending, that makes no sense, usually negative, with a reflection on how horrible life really is, and how their is nothing we as humans can do to change it. This is how No country ends, and cold mountain, mystic river, attonement, million dollar baby, etc., etc. Typical liberal trash, this movie stunk!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM

SPOILERS

The ending pretty much tells you that the entire movie wasn't about Lewellyn's running from Anton... The ending reveals that the film was actually about Tommy Lee Jones' character getting to damn old and how it is getting harder to track the new age and more slick criminals during that time.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:12 PM

Yeah, I do not get the ending either. Too weird.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Here is what I posted earlier in the discussion of the review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
The problems people have with the movie are straight out of the book. The emotional response you feel when Moss gets killed off-screen or at the end with the meanderings of Ed Tom are intentional. Its the lack of closure that haunt people when they lose someone they care about or when tragedy happens. Things are going one way and the BAM suddenly the whole world changes. It changes and then it moves on as if nothing happened, and the resoutions and the emotional responses of the people that were affected by the tragedy are not neatly tied up in a nice little package. It's daring to see a movie (or a book, but more so a movie) tinker with conventional story telling to make one feel that bitterness, confusion, deflation that one would feel if confronted with a tragedy and then, with the lingering sadness of life after the tragedy. Which is what Ed Tom (and the audience) feels at the end. There is nothing left but meandering thoughts and dreams.
I loved the movie, but I understand the ending is jarring--its intended to be that way.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:22 PM

The ending is explained by the title. No more, no less...
Old 04-14-2008, 02:36 PM

In my opinion, the point about Anton Chigurh's car accident is that even someone as seemingly super-human as Chigurh is not above random events that can destroy one's life. Nothing in the movie was fair--good people died and bad people died without any real rhyme or reason.

In the book, this accident led to a bit more detail about a slight sub-plot involing the children that helped Chigurh, but that's not relevant to the movie.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Here is what I posted earlier in the discussion of the review:

I loved the movie, but I understand the ending is jarring--its intended to be that way.
Quote:
In my opinion, the point about Anton Chigurh's car accident is that even someone as seemingly super-human as Chigurh is not above random events that can destroy one's life. Nothing in the movie was fair--good people died and bad people died without any real rhyme or reason.

In the book, this accident led to a bit more detail about a slight sub-plot involing the children that helped Chigurh, but that's not relevant to the movie.
judge pen is my favorite user on the no country forums so far, he knows and understands this film more than anyone, i loved it too, absolutley loved it, and i dont think like other people said in the forum it just ends, the ending was perfect, perhaps tommy lee jones' best scene of his career... the quote about his dream was the explanation that there is NO country for old men, and that the violence will only get worse, and since he realizes that he is now an old man, he cannot keep up with the country anymore, with again there being no country for old men, maybe young men like the young drug dealers and gangsters and people like anton chigurh, but not any old men...