Anyone else's movie stops selling "new" opened Blu-rays? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-13-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Anyone else's movie stops selling "new" opened Blu-rays?

I was curious what you guys thought about this. Most of my friends thought I was nuts. My brother and I had heard of a new movie stop opening here locally so we kept an eye out for it being that the closest one was about 20-25 miles away. We wound up there the day it opened and I decided to buy a few Blu-rays. They had cases for all the movies out on the shelves, however they were opened and empty. I figured they were just place holders and would have the movies behind the counter, no big deal.

Well, upon getting to the counter, they took the movie from an envelope from a drawer and put it in the empty, opened case and were selling it as new. This was apparently their new anti-theft policy. Seemed shady and odd to me, so I declined the purchase. Obviously couldn't buy a gift there for someone else.

So what do you guys think? I have no problem buying a used movie. However, would it have bothered you that they were already opened when you were buying a supposedly new movie? Are the movie stops near you guys doing this?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM

Not for movies, but I know the eb games by where I live does it with games. Needless to say I've only bought 1 new game from them.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 PM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

yeah they can very easily take and sell used movies as new with they way they are doing that.

iam curious as to what there return policy is since its allready open before you paid for it.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:24 PM

My EB games does that with games too. I got in an argument with them about it. I told them that as far as I was concerned, the second they remove the plastic wrap, it's not new anymore. It's used.

I also asked them if I could return a game purchased this way for my money back, since it was already opened, but according to them "opened" means "new". They said no. I could only exchange it for the same title if it was defective. I said "what if its not defective. like I didnt play it and just decided I wanted something different". This is where they screwed their own policy. The manager replied "No, because since it has been opened, by us or not, there's now gaurentee I didn't take it home and copy it or play it". I then said "How do I know the employee's arn't taking these discs home at night and playing them?" He said "Cuz we don't do that".

This went on for a while and I finally told him I would not purchase the game, or any game from them unless it was a sealed copy from the glass case behind them. He seemed very pissed that he had to unlock the case and give me a fresh, sealed copy. They always seem pissed when I ask for a sealed one. I don't care. I actually am questioning the legality of them selling opened copies as brand new.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 PM

That's pretty pathetic. By definition, if the movie is out of its packaging it is not new. If you drive a car off a lot, it is no longer new.

I wouldn't buy a "new" game or movie from a store like that either.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

legally they can NOT sell something as new if they have opened it, i know this cause i had a incident with the bestbuy on los feliz blvd in los angeles last day after thanksgiving story.

i thought i was getting a great deal on a toshiba lap top boy was i wrong when i got home and turned it on it became obvious it was NOT new, ive had many computers over the years and i know what the process is suppose to be when i turn it on for the first time. you go through the whole registering windows process and imagine my surprise when the computer is loading slower than my old commodore vic 20 and its windows and the computer is allready registerd under the heading geeksquad#133 (#133 by the way is that bestbuys store number) and i was now unable to register the computer or windows in my name. i contacted toshiba they said i needed to return it to bestbuy.

when i got to bestbuy i asked to speak to a manager who at first insisted that it was brand new and that i must be new to the process of registering a computer, completely talking down to me like i had no clue what i was talking about.

he asked me well did you have it optomized when you bought the computer so it would run faster, i said no i shouldnt have to have it optomized.
i said i just bought a computer back in october for work and didnt have this issue when i took it out of the book, when i bought one at circuit city it never was allready registerd or anything.

he was getting snippy and annoyed and asked well what do you want me to do.

when i said get me Brand new computer he said i had one, finally he admited that they did open all the computers up for the day after thanksgivng sale to make sure they all were in working order.

thats when i rememberd they had two stacks of boxes, when they asked if you wanted it optomized if you said yes they gave you one form stack one if you said no like i did it was stack 2.

when i asked about that he said i was being stupid(his words) and that i should just pay to have it optomized.

i finally said i was going to report them to the better bussiness beurau if they didnt get me another computer now that has never been turned on.

and to refund my money and i was going to go home and get everything else i bought that day about 2000 worh of items and return it all and never shop there again.

he finnally replaced the computer i turned it on there and sure enough it loaded up much faster and let me go through the steps of registering with toshiba and windows.

let me tell you he was not happy,
so to get to how this ties in with the original poster.
i contacted the better bussiness buerau and got a letter back from them thanking me for notifying them of the situation and provideing me with a pamphlet that states rules about making sure items are sold for the price they are marked, and making sure that items being sold as new are factory sealed or they cannot be sold as new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckybd View Post
My EB games does that with games too. I got in an argument with them about it. I told them that as far as I was concerned, the second they remove the plastic wrap, it's not new anymore. It's used.

I also asked them if I could return a game purchased this way for my money back, since it was already opened, but according to them "opened" means "new". They said no. I could only exchange it for the same title if it was defective. I said "what if its not defective. like I didnt play it and just decided I wanted something different". This is where they screwed their own policy. The manager replied "No, because since it has been opened, by us or not, there's now gaurentee I didn't take it home and copy it or play it". I then said "How do I know the employee's arn't taking these discs home at night and playing them?" He said "Cuz we don't do that".

This went on for a while and I finally told him I would not purchase the game, or any game from them unless it was a sealed copy from the glass case behind them. He seemed very pissed that he had to unlock the case and give me a fresh, sealed copy. They always seem pissed when I ask for a sealed one. I don't care. I actually am questioning the legality of them selling opened copies as brand new.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post
I was curious what you guys thought about this. Most of my friends thought I was nuts. My brother and I had heard of a new movie stop opening here locally so we kept an eye out for it being that the closest one was about 20-25 miles away. We wound up there the day it opened and I decided to buy a few Blu-rays. They had cases for all the movies out on the shelves, however they were opened and empty. I figured they were just place holders and would have the movies behind the counter, no big deal.

Well, upon getting to the counter, they took the movie from an envelope from a drawer and put it in the empty, opened case and were selling it as new. This was apparently their new anti-theft policy. Seemed shady and odd to me, so I declined the purchase. Obviously couldn't buy a gift there for someone else.

So what do you guys think? I have no problem buying a used movie. However, would it have bothered you that they were already opened when you were buying a supposedly new movie? Are the movie stops near you guys doing this?
I was one of the friends referred to in the original post that said he was nuts.

Here is my reason. Everyone is making analogies to cars or laptops, etc. OK, reality check here, this is a movie disc. Seriously. There is nothing that can be subtly defective about it like a car or a computer.

If you want to be principled over something as trivial and stupid as a movie disc, go right ahead and don't buy there. If they have the best price on a particular movie you want, well, you have a choice to make.

I know the first thing I am going to do when I buy a movie is open it to make sure the disc didn't dislodge during handling and that there are no scratches, as well as removing whatever anti-theft crap they've glued inside the case. The fact that the case may have been shrink wrapped for the 15 minutes it took me to get it home doesn't matter to me.

The fact is, MovieStop and GameStop both guarantee that even their used movies will play. If you buy a new movie that has been opened in this fashion, obviously they have to replace it, as they would do even if it were used. Because of this, I don't see why it matters.

I buy used Blu-rays there because they are cheaper. I have never had a problem with any of them. (I've even bought used HD-DVDs) I do not feel that I am settling for a lesser quality item in exchange for a cheaper price. A movie is a movie and it either plays or it doesn't. If it doesn't play I return it. There is no risk involved. I'm getting it for cheaper and its a good deal.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

I had this happen to me at a GameStop (which tells me this must be a corporate or at least franchisee policy).

I went to buy a NEW video game, they pulled out the little envelope and put the disc in the empty case. I said "you don't have any new ones", and he said "this is new". Then I said "but it is opened", and he said "but it is new"...yada, yada.

I was peeved, but wanted the game.

I then asked him "well, what if it is a gift and needs to be returned, how will you know that it was a "new" game", and they proceeded to place a clear plastic sitcker over the middle of the case, as a "tamper proof" measure. I guess they thought that if the game came back with the sticker removed it had been used.

Anyway, this is a really shitty policy, and I don't think I will be buying "new" media from Gamestop anymore.

I have not had this happen to me at moviestop, and I have bought some blurays there before. Although it was a few months ago...if this is their new policy, they can piss off - Amazon here I come.

I still have some store credit at Moviestop so I hope this is not the case at my location.

I would love to see Best Buy try and pull this little manuever off.

I think the only reason GS/MS can do this is because they are smaller/franchises.

Still doesn't make it right though...
Old 04-14-2008, 12:35 PM

All the more reason to use Amazon for movie and game purchases.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:45 PM

not surprised since they do this for games all the time.
I personally refuse to buy "opened" new merchandise.
I agree it is a pathetic practice, but they continue to claim that it helps prevent massive inventory loss.
maybe so, but the practice still blows.