Has anyone else bought Sharkwater on Blu? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-13-2008, 07:30 PM

Default Has anyone else bought Sharkwater on Blu?

I was curious what your impressions were of the video quality. I bought it today and enjoyed the movie, however, it seemed like it was pretty inconsistent as far as video quality is concerned. Some scenes looked great and others looked like upconverted DVD's.

Also, as far as the movie is concerned, did anyone else notice that the main guy never really did anything to help the sharks, as much as he he talked about it. Seemed like that boat captain was spearheading the operation while the narrator simply wanted to see himself on camera. Closest he came was videoing the shark fins on the roof. The boat captain seemed much more proactive.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftoverchinese View Post
I was curious what your impressions were of the video quality. I bought it today and enjoyed the movie, however, it seemed like it was pretty inconsistent as far as video quality is concerned. Some scenes looked great and others looked like upconverted DVD's.

Also, as far as the movie is concerned, did anyone else notice that the main guy never really did anything to help the sharks, as much as he he talked about it. Seemed like that boat captain was spearheading the operation while the narrator simply wanted to see himself on camera. Closest he came was videoing the shark fins on the roof. The boat captain seemed much more proactive.
Some parts were better than others. Overall picture quality wasn't that great, but I enjoyed the film a lot. It gave a lot of insight into what was going on, and hopefully it helps change some things. Also noticed the same thing. That boat captain was pretty awesome.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:35 AM

I rented it from Netflix and I thought the PQ was pretty good, considering a good portion of the camera work was guerilla style. Some of the underwater shots were simply breathtaking. I don't think you should fault Rob Stewart (the main guy) for not being "proactive": he was highlighting the courage of people like the boat captain who make this cause a priority in their lives, and brought to our attention situations I knew nothing about. I thought it was an amazing, frightening documentary.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
I rented it from Netflix and I thought the PQ was pretty good, considering a good portion of the camera work was guerilla style. Some of the underwater shots were simply breathtaking. I don't think you should fault Rob Stewart (the main guy) for not being "proactive": he was highlighting the courage of people like the boat captain who make this cause a priority in their lives, and brought to our attention situations I knew nothing about. I thought it was an amazing, frightening documentary.
True...
I wouldnt classify Rob Stewert as an activist like I would the boat captian. Rob Started out his project simply trying to get footage of Sharks then turned it into a documentary when uncovering a scary reality. Got to give him some credit for stiking with it thou....im sure if timing wasnt in his favor he could have been killed.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:43 PM

I have yet to watch this, but even the DLP screening I saw at the theater varied in quality due to the fact that the film was shot with differing video camera's - some hidef, some standard DV.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:38 PM

Rented it. Not blown away by the picture quality. Galapagos is still the best looking nature documentary on BD.