Chevy Chase - Christmas Vacation transfer question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

Default Chevy Chase - Christmas Vacation transfer question

I remember getting this when it first came out, and don't remember the transfer at all. I don't even know what happened to it. So any owners of the Blu-ray disc, is it worth a purchase on Blu-ray? Was it up to par of A Christmas Story? Please post your thoughts.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:41 AM

It's the worst transfer I've seen on either format. There's not a single minute in the entire movie where I felt like I was watching High Definition.

It may be better than the DVD, but only because the DVD is also sub-par for that format.

The Blu-ray looks like a mediocre DVD. The DVD looks like VHS.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:10 AM

Wow. You must have some great looking VHS.
The DVD was fine, the SE at least. But this is the type of film that won't shine in either format, not that makes much different for me, I watch it because it's a funny film. I'm fine with the DVD, I won't be rushing out to get the HD version.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

iam happy with the transfer i think sometimes people expect to much from films that are over two decades old.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER View Post
iam happy with the transfer i think sometimes people expect to much from films that are over two decades old.
The Adventures of Robin Hood is 7 decades old....it looks spectacular.

Casablanca is 6 decades old...it looks spectacular.

The Searchers is 5 decades old...it looks spectacular.

Forbidden Planet is 5 decades old...it looks spectacular.

2001: A Space Odyssey is 4 decades old....it looks spectacular.

....need I go on?....

If a film is well shot by a capable cinematographer, any film from any age can look spectacular IF it has been well preserved, or has been restored. If an older film looks bad in High Def, it's not because it is old....it's because it was either poorly preserved, or poorly shot in the first place.

There are a myriad of films from past decades that will benefit immensely from high definition treatment. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is not one of them.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:24 PM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

the thing is though the movies you mention are movies that are considered to be american classics
several of the films you mention are part of the library of congress film archives
not to mention have had several re releases into theatres with remasterd and restored prints.
i know i have seen all 4 of those movies you have mentioned on the big screen at the gruamans egyptian theatre here in hollywood in the last 3 years and they were all presented as newley struck 35 mm prints.

unfortunately even though i really like christmas vacation it doesnt hold a candle to the movies you mention in terms of there importance and thus to expect it to be treated in the same regards is kind of unrealistic, do you realize how much it costs to restore and remaster a movie, i have a friend who works for technicolor and has a hand in the restoration of films, and the cost is just to great to expect every movie ever made to be treated to the same kind treatment the films you mention recieved.

Now if we were talking about the wizard of having a less than perfect transfer it would be a entirely differnt beast but we are not we are talking about national lampoons christmas vacation a more than 20 year old l comedy that has a limited audience appeal.

by the way if the restored print that was used for the repremiere of the wizard of oz shown at the chinese theatre last year is whats being used for next years high def release, then it will be a real treat.
because they really put a lot of love into that restroration which was screened when the munchkins got a star on the walk of fame last novemeber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
The Adventures of Robin Hood is 7 decades old....it looks spectacular.

Casablanca is 6 decades old...it looks spectacular.

The Searchers is 5 decades old...it looks spectacular.

Forbidden Planet is 5 decades old...it looks spectacular.

2001: A Space Odyssey is 4 decades old....it looks spectacular.

....need I go on?....

If a film is well shot by a capable cinematographer, any film from any age can look spectacular IF it has been well preserved, or has been restored. If an older film looks bad in High Def, it's not because it is old....it's because it was either poorly preserved, or poorly shot in the first place.

There are a myriad of films from past decades that will benefit immensely from high definition treatment. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is not one of them.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:55 PM

Christmas Vacation may not be an "American classic", but it was a competently-made movie shot on 35mm by people capable of focusing the camera and lighting a scene. It can certainly look a lot better than the current Blu-ray, which is sourced from a sub-par DVD master that's been DNR'ed to death.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's the worst transfer I've seen on either format. There's not a single minute in the entire movie where I felt like I was watching High Definition.

It may be better than the DVD, but only because the DVD is also sub-par for that format.

The Blu-ray looks like a mediocre DVD. The DVD looks like VHS.
I wouldn't say its the worst that I have seen, but you have probably seen more HD DVD and Bd movies than I have. The transfer isn't mind blowing, but better than the DVD. Hopefully this gets a nice remaster soon.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Thanks for the input guys, as long as it's slightly better than the DVD (High def looking or not) I guess it deserves a pickup, I love the movie, and I only watch TV shows or movies on DVD if I have no other choice.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News.com View Post
Thanks for the input guys, as long as it's slightly better than the DVD (High def looking or not) I guess it deserves a pickup, I love the movie, and I only watch TV shows or movies on DVD if I have no other choice.
I dunno, I really wouldn't be too surprised to see a new version of this movie re-released on DVD and Blu-ray for one of the holiday seasons.

I for one grew up on this movie and consider it a must watch movie every Christmas time at least once per year. I own the DVD and will be keeping that until a newer, better version is available. I really don't agree that the DVD looks like VHS. It doesn't look too bad and when unconverted, I feel its just fine for a movie I watch once a year. However, I def agree that it isn't anywhere close to the best DVD masters out there obviously.