So.. why dosent blu ray use dolby digital plus? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Default So.. why dosent blu ray use dolby digital plus?

I was just reading an artical about surround sound formats. and it says that DD+ was made for both HD DVD and blu ray. So why is it that alot of blu rays only contain Regular vanilla 5.1?? it dosent make sense.. with all of the space that blu rays have why not have Dolby Digital Plus be the "standard" audio track since it is infact HD audio rather than using the old DD audio? thats one thing i did like about HD DVD, you always know your getting high res audio in some form.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:28 PM

I think it was that DD+ support wasn't required as part of the spec for every Blu-ray player, so some players can play it back and some can't. Result: Blu-ray avoids DD+ on discs.

Right?

Edit: Oh, and do remember that even if it's only compressing sound with Dolby Digital, Blu-ray can use it at a higher bit rate than DVD is capable of, and does so most of the time. It's still high res, even if it's not up to the level of Dolby TrueHD or anything.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I was just reading an artical about surround sound formats. and it says that DD+ was made for both HD DVD and blu ray. So why is it that alot of blu rays only contain Regular vanilla 5.1?? it dosent make sense.. with all of the space that blu rays have why not have Dolby Digital Plus be the "standard" audio track since it is infact HD audio rather than using the old DD audio? thats one thing i did like about HD DVD, you always know your getting high res audio in some form.
You do realize that Blu-ray has more titles with HD audio than HD-DVD right? I mean all of SONY, FOX and Disney titles came with either TrueHD, DTS-HD MA or Uncompressed audio track. While most HD-DVD titles came with a lossy DD +.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWrathofBambi View Post
I am left with the impression that DD+ is a redundant audio format in which, from a practical listening viewpoint (or hearpoint), there is little if any appreciable gain in clarity from Dolby Digital 5.1.

As a consumer who has bought into an HD entertainment system, I felt nothing short of cheated on purchasing films with DD+ instead of HD resolution audio.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blofelds Cat View Post
I am left with the impression that DD+ is a redundant audio format in which, from a practical listening viewpoint (or hearpoint), there is little if any appreciable gain in clarity from Dolby Digital 5.1.

As a consumer who has bought into an HD entertainment system, I felt nothing short of cheated on purchasing films with DD+ instead of HD resolution audio.
Don't let the similar names fool you--Dolby Digital and DD+ are most definitely different. They're not listed as two different compression schemes just for the hell of it.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Well Warner was the one that used it the most and if it is any Consolation many of their the ones that were released for Blu did not have any HD sound options. They are doing more sound-wise these days for Blu but I noticed many with only Dolby Digital as the top option. So...
Old 04-12-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWrathofBambi View Post
So why is it that alot of blu rays only contain Regular vanilla 5.1??
Alot? Only? Whiny much?
Old 04-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Dolby Digital Plus comes in two possible bit rates: 640 kb/s and 1.5 Mb/s.

According to Dolby themselves, the 640 kb/s version is indistinguishable from standard Dolby Digital at the same bit rate, so there is no point in using DD+ at that rate when standard DD 5.1 will do. This is especially true on Blu-ray because a large number of BD players on the market don't support DD+ at all, requiring the disc to contain a backup DD 5.1 track anyway.

The 1.5 Mb/s version is significantly better than old DD 5.1, however. Professional Hollywood sound mixers have said that it can be transparent to the studio master. This is the version that Universal and Paramount used on almost all of their HD DVDs.

The high rate DD+ isn't used on Blu-ray again because most BD players don't support it. Due to that, it's better for studios to use DTS-HD instead, which is configured in a core+extension format. Even if the Blu-ray player can't decode the full DTS-HD signal, they will all at least be able to extract the standard DTS "core", and the disc will have a usable soundtrack on any player.

All HD DVD players were required to decode DD+, so it was a more practical option on that format.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:29 PM

why not just go with True HD