Fox Plots 'Firefly' for Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-11-2008, 03:08 PM
HDD Founder

Default Fox Plots 'Firefly' for Blu-ray

Quote:
There's no date yet, but Fox says it's planning an extensive Blu-ray release for the TV cult phenomenon 'Firefly.'

That's according to TV Shows on DVD, which recently posted an update reporting that they've received confirmation from the studio that it's currently in the early stages of preparing a major Blu-ray box set release of the short-lived but much-beloved Joss Whedon series.
Full story:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1632
Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 PM

Blind buy, day one. I'll pay retail cost if need be. This is one of my all-time favorite shows, and definitely worth the upgrade.

It would be nice if Universal times a blu-ray release of Serenity to the same day. That'd be a nice way to start things off.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:47 PM

I would rather Universal give us both seasons of Heroes.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
Blind buy, day one. I'll pay retail cost if need be. This is one of my all-time favorite shows, and definitely worth the upgrade.

It would be nice if Universal times a blu-ray release of Serenity to the same day. That'd be a nice way to start things off.
I'll fight you for the right to buy the first copy

Seriously, I'm all over getting this series in HD of one format or the other. Bring it on.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:35 PM

I've rarely buy TV shows on DVD. I think I bought a Simpsons box set once.

But this...will be mine.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:16 AM

I would prefer it if they'd plot season two... obviously this was a money spinner on DVD so they're trying to get the fans to upgrade... well screw 'em... Bring Back Firefly and DRIVE dammit!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 AM

Seeing as I already have Serenity on HD DVD, I will stick with the SD versions of this show. Just like Battlestar, it will look better in High Def but not enough for a massive double-dip and you know how FOX likes to pound your fanny with pricing! Ouch!

So, my $20 investment in the SD set will suffice and it does look very good upconverted.... NO, Im not saying its as good as HD, but I am saying its good enough for me. Especially a show that will be grainy and dark at times which will have everyone bitching about the transfer anyways. See Battlestar Galactica reviews.... same issue.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:00 AM

I never did get a chance to see Firefly when the series was running but I did buy Serenity and love it. I see that most, if not all, of the original actors are in the Firefly/Serenity releases and was wondering if Firefly is as good as Serenity. Is this set worth buying?

Brad
Old 04-12-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
I never did get a chance to see Firefly when the series was running but I did buy Serenity and love it. I see that most, if not all, of the original actors are in the Firefly/Serenity releases and was wondering if Firefly is as good as Serenity. Is this set worth buying?

Brad
Yes, its worth buying....but IMO the SD set for like $24.95 on Amazon is the best deal. Like I said, it looks pretty good upscaled and seeing as you have the movie already on HD DVD I wouldnt "split" the series and movie between red/blue. Thats just me though.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Good points. However, most of my viewing is via Blu Ray so I wouldn't mind buying the series on BD (I'm so friggin' spoiled with high def). I may rent the SD's first to see how they look upconverted and will likely buy Serenity on BD if it's ever released.

Brad