Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jed
    jed is offline HDD Founder

Default Fox Plots 'Firefly' for Blu-ray

There's no date yet, but Fox says it's planning an extensive Blu-ray release for the TV cult phenomenon 'Firefly.'

That's according to TV Shows on DVD, which recently posted an update reporting that they've received confirmation from the studio that it's currently in the early stages of preparing a major Blu-ray box set release of the short-lived but much-beloved Joss Whedon series.
    Full story:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1632

Space_Butler is offline Founding Member

Blind buy, day one. I'll pay retail cost if need be. This is one of my all-time favorite shows, and definitely worth the upgrade.

It would be nice if Universal times a blu-ray release of Serenity to the same day. That'd be a nice way to start things off.
    Blu-ray's: 234
    60gb PS3 w/ 320gb hdd, 360 Pro + 120gb HDD, Wii

BluAngel is offline Member

I would rather Universal give us both seasons of Heroes.
    ~~~~~~~ From the Blu skies above ~~~~~~~

PS3 60GB
    72" Toshiba DLP
    Blu-ray Discs owned - 85

terpfan1980 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
    Blind buy, day one. I'll pay retail cost if need be. This is one of my all-time favorite shows, and definitely worth the upgrade.

It would be nice if Universal times a blu-ray release of Serenity to the same day. That'd be a nice way to start things off.
    I'll fight you for the right to buy the first copy

Seriously, I'm all over getting this series in HD of one format or the other. Bring it on.

kowhite is offline Member

I've rarely buy TV shows on DVD. I think I bought a Simpsons box set once.

But this...will be mine.

Satans Puppet is offline Member

I would prefer it if they'd plot season two... obviously this was a money spinner on DVD so they're trying to get the fans to upgrade... well screw 'em... Bring Back Firefly and DRIVE dammit!!!

RoadLizard is offline Member

Seeing as I already have Serenity on HD DVD, I will stick with the SD versions of this show. Just like Battlestar, it will look better in High Def but not enough for a massive double-dip and you know how FOX likes to pound your fanny with pricing! Ouch!

So, my $20 investment in the SD set will suffice and it does look very good upconverted.... NO, Im not saying its as good as HD, but I am saying its good enough for me. Especially a show that will be grainy and dark at times which will have everyone bitching about the transfer anyways. See Battlestar Galactica reviews.... same issue.
    LG OLED 65" E6
    Samsung PNH645000 Plasma
    Samsung UBD-8500K
    Sony STRDG 710
    Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW10 [/B]

Bradster is offline Member

I never did get a chance to see Firefly when the series was running but I did buy Serenity and love it. I see that most, if not all, of the original actors are in the Firefly/Serenity releases and was wondering if Firefly is as good as Serenity. Is this set worth buying?

Brad
    Collection: DVD | Blu-ray

"Most people never have to face the fact that, at the right time and the right place, they're capable of anything."

RoadLizard is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
    I never did get a chance to see Firefly when the series was running but I did buy Serenity and love it. I see that most, if not all, of the original actors are in the Firefly/Serenity releases and was wondering if Firefly is as good as Serenity. Is this set worth buying?

Brad
    Yes, its worth buying....but IMO the SD set for like $24.95 on Amazon is the best deal. Like I said, it looks pretty good upscaled and seeing as you have the movie already on HD DVD I wouldnt "split" the series and movie between red/blue. Thats just me though.
    LG OLED 65" E6
    Samsung PNH645000 Plasma
    Samsung UBD-8500K
    Sony STRDG 710
    Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW10 [/B]

Bradster is offline Member

Good points. However, most of my viewing is via Blu Ray so I wouldn't mind buying the series on BD (I'm so friggin' spoiled with high def). I may rent the SD's first to see how they look upconverted and will likely buy Serenity on BD if it's ever released.

Brad
    Collection: DVD | Blu-ray

"Most people never have to face the fact that, at the right time and the right place, they're capable of anything."

jgriffaz is offline Member

Inara and River in ?

Cochise is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
    Good points. However, most of my viewing is via Blu Ray so I wouldn't mind buying the series on BD (I'm so friggin' spoiled with high def). I may rent the SD's first to see how they look upconverted and will likely buy Serenity on BD if it's ever released.

Brad
    They were airing on UniversalHD, not sure if they still are. I caught a couple of episodes and thought they looked marginally better than the DVD upconverted. The series is worthwhile. I'd never heard of it until I'd bought Serenity. I liked the movie so much I bought the Firefly complete season, and really enjoyed it. But I won't upgrade to BD if it comes out - a made for TV series isn't going to have much upgraded audio, and the DVD looks great upconverted.

macel is offline Member

Firefly/Serenity is one of the few releases where I don't mind the old doubledip. Already got Serenity on both DVD/HD-DVD and Firefly on DVD.

Blu-ray Firefly would be instant buy for me.

Markb is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BluAngel View Post
    I would rather Universal give us both seasons of Heroes.
    Start your own thread about that then, and keep your bitching out of this one.
    Toshiba 42hf67 720p
    Toshiba A2 ($80) - A3 (free)
    Philips 963SA (hacked for region free, and 1080i upconversion)
    PS3 40gig

Naim NAC202
    Naim NAP200
    Naim CD5X
    Naim Flatcap2
    Naim Stageline
    Linn LP12 - Ittok - Denon 103
    Neat Motive
    McIntosh MC 40's
    Audio Research SP6B

DoubleJ is offline Member

I have watched episodes of the show on Universal HD, and they were nothing better than upconvert PQ. I hope they put some major time into this one so we can be amazed!

Regardless, I will be getting this for sure!
    Did the primary buffer panel just fall off my gorram ship for no apparent reason?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast