'10.5 Apocalypse: The Complete Miniseries' - High-Def Digest - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Default '10.5 Apocalypse: The Complete Miniseries' - High-Def Digest

Peter's review of '10.5: Apocalypse' has been posted. He says it's like a bad TV-movie version of a *BAD* Irwin Allen disaster flick -- and that's not meant as a compliment. As one of Echo Bridge's inaugural budget-line Blu-ray releases, the disc quality here isn't bad , which is promising if they can secure better material in the future, but this is still one to avoid.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1360/105apocalypse.html
Old 04-11-2008, 06:40 PM

Echo Bridge has lost a lot of Cred.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Well I said it the other day but it was lost.

This is one of the funniest reviews I've seen, he killed the movie. Sad thing is. I agree with him.

I thing the people that did the special effects need to go back to school. If they ever even went.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:43 AM

anyone pick up category 7? the conversations around 2 hours 20 mins in get so faint you can't hear anything for about 10 minutes

the background noise and music is still blasting, but talking is low

bought this and was planning on watching it tonight with a rented copy of 10.5 from netflix, but netflix sent me 10.5 apocalypse instead
Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 AM

I bought this and Catagory 7, because Amazon had them both on special for 7.50 each in my Gold box. Actually, I enjoyed them both. No, they aren't blockbusters, but having been a fan of the disaster flicks since the 70's, these must take their place in my collection and some of the effects scenes are worth having because the picture quality surprised me, good transfers here.

What I don't get is why Catagory 7 sounds very good and has 5.1 DTS, which is the best track (even beats the PCM), while 10.5 seems to me to sound like mono. It says PCM stereo and there is no 5.1, but I do not get any stereo separation. I tried different settings on my receiver, and changed over the tracks on the disc menu, and I get nothing except a center channel signal or a left and right signal that is mono. I wrote Echo Bridge and asked why this sounds like mono, because my recording on tape off of tv is full stereo, much better than this blu-ray, they never answered. It's a shame because the tv recording I have on tape sounds quite good.

Peter (reviewer) if you read this, could I have gotten a copy that has something wrong with it? Mine is definately mono in any selection I choose and you mentioned getting music and effects in stereo at least.