'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-07-2008, 12:19 PM

Default 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen' has been posted. He says it's a fascinating film, but not as successful as 'Time Bandits' or 'Brazil. This blu-ray sports video and audio tracks that aren't ideal, but are probably as good as they'll ever look as sound. Add to that a robust collection of supplements and you have a no-brainer for Gilliam fans and a worthwhile rental for others.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1301...unchausen.html
Old 04-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Sounds like a purchase for me. It's not my favorite Gilliam film, but still a really good one. I look forward to it! Thanks for the review!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Mine's been shipped, should get in on Wed.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:17 PM

"Worthwhile rent for newcomers...;" that's definately me. I just can't blind buy this.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:05 PM

I hesitated pre-ordering this in the event that the transfer source just didn't lend itself to an HD presentation. Thankfully my fears have been assuaged! I'll definitely pick this up tomorrow!
Old 04-11-2008, 01:28 PM

I just watched this yesterday and LOVED IT!!!

I still have my old Criterion Collection version from the LD. I never bothered picking it up when it was released on DVD, because it was an awful bare-bones edition.

I popped it in, and was transported to land of fantasy and wonder!

I rank this one #2 on my favorite Gilliam films of all time with Brazil being #1.

Uma Thurman is a treat at only 17 years of age. She was "fully developed" at this point. Although, she's always been a chain smoker.

My favorite line is, "Go away, I'm trying to die"!

The picture is top notch or as top notch as will ever get. The sound is in TRUE HD--which is quite loud in parts.

The supplements rock, including a BRAND NEW documentary on the disaster of the filming. Gilliam talks, Thomas Schuley talks, and NO ONE minces words. It's another great "making of" in the tradition of the Brazil, 12 Monkeys, and Lost in La Mancha. Hijinx ensue.

Do yourselves the favor and scoop it up!!!

On a side note, this disc is encoded with a firmware update 2.10 which prior to popping in the disc, I did not have. It's good to see films are being encoded with updates. I just need the later ones.

Last edited by cheez avenger; 04-12-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM

Anyone notice the adjusted framing? I only started to notice it during the "Venus Intro Scene". You get slightly...less Uma.

I'm sure the old DVD has a bit...more Uma.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Anyone notice the adjusted framing? I only started to notice it during the "Venus Intro Scene". You get slightly...less Uma.

I'm sure the old DVD has a bit...more Uma.

Nooooooooooo!

Really? I don't remember a nip slip, or frontal/back view.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:21 AM

Watch both the DVD and BD. Just examine the scenes. I swear there's more Uma in the DVD, than in the BD. I think they adjusted the framing.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Watch both the DVD and BD. Just examine the scenes. I swear there's more Uma in the DVD, than in the BD. I think they adjusted the framing.

I don't have the dvd, I have an old Criterion Collection dub, from the laserdisc but no longer use the VCR.

Okay, I just saw it on youtube and it looks fine.

I'll double check the new dvd.