What the crap is up at Wal-Mart?! Is it just mine? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 AM

Unhappy What the crap is up at Wal-Mart?! Is it just mine?

So I walked into my local Wal-Mart tonight wanting to pickup Hidalgo and Unbreakable. As recently as a couple of weeks ago they had all their Blu-ray's on a BIG endcap and the selection was quite good, tonight though I find the endcap gone. When I ask where they moved them to I am pointed to a little tiny cabinet way in the ass-end of the DVD section. When I get to it I find their selection has been cut in at least half, probably more...seriously they probably didn't have more than 20 titles!!! When I asked a salesperson what happened and if they're going to be increasing their selection again soon I got the typical Wal-Mart employee blank-stare along with a half-assed "maybe, I don't really know".

What a real disappointment though! I was really enjoying getting new catalog releases for $18 and some change. Just can't help but wonder how this is supposed to help Blu to victory...

Anyone else's Wal-Mart done this or is it just mine?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:16 AM

Nope, mine is the same way. When I went to pick up No Country for Old Men, I noticed that they moved the HDM section toward the rear of the movie section. They cut everything in half, HD DVD and Blu-ray.

The local Wal-Mart employee said that since HD DVD died they had cut their HDM selection. Makes no sense to me, seeing as they still had as many HD DVD's as Blu-rays, (and still do) but it only amounts to about 20 titles, when it used to be at least 50.

Wal-Mart has great prices, but good luck finding anything other than the biggest releases. It is a shame, as I thought they would expand after Blu-ray's victory. It seems that they have done the opposite. Perhaps the BDA was paying them before for more shelf space, and now that they won they aren't? Who knows...

Chris
Old 04-03-2008, 02:13 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

yeah the same thing at the walmart at the baldwin hills mall i went in trying to find coyote ugly, hildalgo and unbreakable last night and saw the same crap all moved to a cabinet on the back side of the xbox 360 cabinet. when i asked the associate what happend i got the following response" oh high defintion movies arent going to be made any more" when i said that was just hd dvd not bluray i got the deer caught in the headlights look. and said forget it and left.

it worked out better anyways since i got them at bestbuy pricematched with circuit citys online price of 19.99 and i had 15 dollars in reward zone certificates. so i paid 15 upfront and with the rebates (which i just found out i can get replacement rebate forms for since mine didnt have them in the case even though they have the sticker on the case saying it did) and will end up costing about 5 bucks apiece.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
I got the typical Wal-Mart employee blank-stare along with a half-assed "maybe, I don't really know".
I hate that look I can't even ask the people anything AND I WORK THERE don't get me wrong I'm not taking offence of what you said, just the oppiste. I got to where I don't even shop in the electronics department any more. I use to stay in there, but now . Oh well I have AMZ
Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 AM

I started to notice the same thing, seems the number of titles has went down. Also went to get a new movie and they did not have any of this weeks catalog titles. Wanted to get unbreakable.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:04 PM

Clearly, theft of these discs has been a major issue in the LA area, as many stores (Walmart and Bestbuy included) have encapsulated their entire section of Blu-ray software. Nothing more annoying that carrying around giant plastic cases, then hoping that the person at checkout has the ability to unlock them. More evidence that Amazon rules.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 PM

I was in a hurry last time and couldn't even find the BDs quickly. Obviously Wal-Mart has *not* sold much HDM and they're not in the business of promoting products for free. It'll pick back up I'm sure, but for now they're clearly adjusting HDM to meet their demand.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Former Member

i have 2 wm's that carry highdefmedia, one moved them from an endcap (that had over 40, 50 titles) to the dvd aisle (4th shelf in, after new release big titles, new release random titles, a few months old, then it) w/ one full shelf, maximum 30, 40 titles. the other still has the standalone display at the front of the store, 2 sides apiece.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:43 PM

The same thing happened in my Walmart (Apple Valley, MN).

I wanted to get Crimson Tide but it was not there. Strangely enough, The Rock and Con Air was, even though all three films were released on the same day. Walmart had it for $18, Best Buy was charging $25. So, I didn't buy it, and will get it from Netflix instead. There's a lost sale right there!

You guys have a nice selection compared to what I've got- they must have only 10-20 titles.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:06 PM

Same here man, my walmart moved their blu ray section also and it has hardley any of the stuff they had before wich pissed me off because prison break is now gone and it was only 64 bucks there. i think i only saw 15 blu rays last time i went.. and i doubt all of those just sold out.