7.1 titles - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-02-2008, 12:43 PM

Default 7.1 titles

I know not everyone here is huge into 7.1 or even huge into surround sound for that matter.

But I am taking this moment to send a message to studios using lossless audio on all releases, and an even bigger shout out to the forward thinking studios releasing 7.1 lossless audio.

I am a small drop in a huge bucket, but I will be purchasing 90-95% of the titles released with 7.1 lossless tracks on them. (turning rentals into purchases) If a movie sucks badly (ie:Larry the Cable guy) I will pass.

I will be doing this to show my support of these studios and they way they are going about releasing their films.

Here's to you New Line, Lionsgate, and the few titles released by some other studios.

And here's to hoping other studios follow your lead.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:50 PM

While I do enjoy a 7.1 track I do so only if it belongs there. There have been 5.1 audio tracks which have sucked because the core audio is 2.0 and they force it. I don't want a 7.1 audio track just for the sake of having a 7.1 audio track. Action films thrive from this but do we need a 7.1 for films that are dialogue driven or have little use for the rears? I also don't care if they use lossless as long as they have an HD track such as DTS MA or DD True HD.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckydan View Post
While I do enjoy a 7.1 track I do so only if it belongs there. There have been 5.1 audio tracks which have sucked because the core audio is 2.0 and they force it. I don't want a 7.1 audio track just for the sake of having a 7.1 audio track. Action films thrive from this but do we need a 7.1 for films that are dialogue driven or have little use for the rears? I also don't care if they use lossless as long as they have an HD track such as DTS MA or DD True HD.

I agree that all movies don't benefit largely from it. I am more speaking towards new or very recent movies, than old 2.0 movies.

And DTS HDMA and DD THD are both lossless codecs.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:10 PM

The back of my The Descent Blu Ray states that it has a 6.1 pcm track but my PS3 plays it as a 7.1 pcm track & it sounds great.... though it is a B-movie, not too bad but it has a handful of shitty scenes...
Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 PM

The style of the movie should matter how many channel it has. Are you saying a heavy dialogue movie should only be 3.0?

Why not use all channels possible? For those of us with 7.1 capabilities, we are missing out with 5.1 movies. (sure our receivers could add the other channels, but it's nice to have discrete 7.1) It's not like everyone with 5.1 can't use a movie with 7.1, they are missing nothing.

All movies, 7.1, all the time! Or its not lossless!!!one!11!!one (ok, i don't really believe that last sentence.)
Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I know not everyone here is huge into 7.1 or even huge into surround sound for that matter.

But I am taking this moment to send a message to studios using lossless audio on all releases, and an even bigger shout out to the forward thinking studios releasing 7.1 lossless audio.

I am a small drop in a huge bucket, but I will be purchasing 90-95% of the titles released with 7.1 lossless tracks on them. (turning rentals into purchases) If a movie sucks badly (ie:Larry the Cable guy) I will pass.

I will be doing this to show my support of these studios and they way they are going about releasing their films.

Here's to you New Line, Lionsgate, and the few titles released by some other studios.

And here's to hoping other studios follow your lead.
How can you not be into surround sound?! Especially if you have a silly HDTV and a BD Player.. You're missing out on half the fun!

But I full heartedly agree. Action films should get the full 7.1 treatment. Comedies don't always need surround sound or even the HD treatment to begin with but movies with surround effects should be given a good 7.1 mix. I would love to see more 6.1 and 7.1 mixes out there.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
If this is true I don't think those people should be posting on this forum.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Even comedies can benefit from 7.1 if the director/producers make use of it.

One of the first 7.1 PCM movies I rented after I got my Onkyo receiver was Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls. Not an action flick, but there was nice, subtle use of the surrounds in location scenes, outdoors and at the Georgia Aquarium.

Doesn't all have to be gunshots and explosions.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo991lb View Post
How can you not be into surround sound?! Especially if you have a silly HDTV and a BD Player.. You're missing out on half the fun!

But I full heartedly agree. Action films should get the full 7.1 treatment. Comedies don't always need surround sound or even the HD treatment to begin with but movies with surround effects should be given a good 7.1 mix. I would love to see more 6.1 and 7.1 mixes out there.
Totally agree.

Some studios completely gimp audio and we have a select few who go above and beyond by not only doing lossless, but doing 7.1 lossless.

It gives me a warm feeling in my heart that New Line is so progressive and that they are in full control of LOTR, the Blade trilogy, and the Austin Powers trilogy.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX View Post
If this is true I don't think those people should be posting on this forum.
LOL

True, true.