DVE HD Basics Blu Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 AM

Default DVE HD Basics Blu Ray

Hi All, I'm looking to maybe buy the afore mentioned disc, I don't think I'm getting the best from my HD set-up, so it seems the perfect choice. I'd like to hear from anyone who's experienced this disc and it's uses, even from anyone who has the HD DVD version too. Does it make much difference? and once I'm calibrated will I ever use this disc again?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 AM

Its only $16 on amazon. Just buy it.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 AM

I'm in the UK, so allow for the fact we get ripped off on just about everything, therefore I'm checking first if it's worth it.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:11 AM

I ran the Blu-ray edition a couple days ago, and found that with the Panasonic BD-30 / Onkyo 805 combo, there's a LOT of difficulty in the 805 locking on to the TrueHD audio track. It's also wildly inconsistent: sometimes a delay of a few seconds, sometimes 15 seconds, sometimes even more...but never the same way in the same spots, so far as I can tell.

That said, the test pattern suite is actually quite helpful compared to the SDDVD DVE, especially for 1080p displays. While I found that most of my settings were still spot-on (I have a 60" Sony SXRD), I also found that my SD-determined settings for brightness (black level) and sharpness were a couple ticks too low, that I had to adjust the green gain and bias a bit to make the SMPTE uniform, and that my display required a +1 horizontal shift for to center the image properly. Nothing major, but very helpful. I also discovered that (as happens with SXRDs) there is a 1-pixel shift in horizontal convergence on the right-hand side of my screen; sucks, but not visible from a viewing distance of more than, say, 6-12 inches...and really shows how well this disc can help you take advantage of (and notice problems with) your display.

So save for that freakin' audio bug (perhaps only a bug in my BR/AVR combo), this edition of DVE is a winner. For $16, it's a steal. And if you've never used calibration discs before, it's essential...yes, you'll see a MAJOR difference.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks Powerknowledge. That sounds promising. Anyone else like to give thier experiences with this disc?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 AM

Default kds

what were your settings, do you have the kds60a3000
Old 04-03-2008, 07:32 PM

I had lots of problems using the disc. The TrueHD audio track would not work with the Onkyo 605 and the BD30. It would also stop or freeze constantly. I tried to access the 720p menu since my tv is optimized for 720p and every test pattern would crash my player... some of them forcing me to unplug.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 PM

If you're interested, there are free disc calibration tools on the Hellboy Blu-ray (as well as other Sony titles). It's not nearly as good as what this'll offer, but it'll be a lot cheaper and less confusing.

You type in 7669 on the main menu and it'll pop up with some screens.

There is also one on the Ratatouille disc and it's easier to figure out to work I think.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 PM

I have an Onkyo 705 and also had some fucked up audio problems but nothing consistent.

The test patterns are wonderful though and the information is fantastic, worth picking up just for the commentary if you have any interest in HD media in general.