Which ending of 'I Am Legend' should fans of the book watch first? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-31-2008, 02:26 PM

Question Which ending of 'I Am Legend' should fans of the book watch first?

Hello all Richard Matheson fans out there who have seen both endings of 'I Am Legend'.

I am a fan of the book and need to know which version of the movie I should watch first to be least disappointed.

Regarding the theatrical version: I have heard that the theatrical ending does not follow the book and seems to distract from the movie. The things I heard kept me from seeing this in theaters.

Regarding the alternate version: I've heard that the alternate ending is better and gives a much more complete feel to the movie as well as giving the same sort of feeling you get from reading the book. I heard it ties a lot more of the book into the movie... however, I heard...
Spoiler
...that Robert Nevile does not die.
This seems to me like a huge change from the book and worries me.

With all of this, I'm confused and don't know which one to watch first. Please help me if you've seen both versions and read the book!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:29 PM

I would watch the "alternate" ending first. It really is the better of the two.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 PM

I agree, the alternate ending is the better. That's the one I chosed for my first watch of the Blu-ray.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:35 PM

I don't like having the girl or the kid in the movie at all. Hopefully that isn't a spoiler but are they in the book?

I preferred the alternate ending, but neither of them were particularly satisfying for me to watch.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:35 PM

I've watched both and prefer the regular ending. For a movie that had some uncomfortable moments in it, the alternate was a little too comfortable tonight.

Freddy
Old 03-31-2008, 02:36 PM

I couldn't read your blacked-out spoiler, and I can't really compare the two without revealing both endings, so...

SPOILER
If you want it to be as close to the book as possible, watch the Theatrical version. He dies in the end, albeit in a different way than in the book. The alternate ending shows him surviving.

Here's the interesting thing: I thought the alternate was more faithful to the book in that it showed some sentience among the creatures. This was never displayed in the original film version; they were bloodthirsty monsters whose motives for attacking Neville were never explained. In the alternate though it shows them capable of thought and also of love. So in that respect it is more faithful.

Both versions deviate pretty heavily from the book though...in the film, Neville doesn't try to kill them, he tries to cure them. Also the dog plays a bigger role. It's best to go in with little expectations so as to not be disappointed. I watched the theatrical, then read the book, then watched the alternate...I liked them all.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo991lb View Post
I don't like having the girl or the kid in the movie at all. Hopefully that isn't a spoiler but are they in the book?

I preferred the alternate ending, but neither of them were particularly satisfying for me to watch.
Right. Even if I prefered the alternate ending, the both of them were not exactly what I expected after reading the book (few years ago).
Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM

First the Alternate Version!

Why?
After you have seen one of the Endings you will most likely watch the other one afterwards. (I would) The Alternate Version also contains two additional scenes, therefore to see everything you just have to watch the Ending of the theatrical version afterwards and not the whole movie again.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 PM

If you are a fan of the book I wouldn't recommend watching the movie.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSHAN View Post
If you are a fan of the book I wouldn't recommend watching the movie.
Well, even if we are a fan of the book, we can watch the movie like an independent story. Evite it to be disappointed.