Future double dips - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Default Future double dips

I was thinking about the movies I own with crappy PQ which I'd double dip on if they re-did the video. So I figured I'd ask everyone if they would double dip on their favorite movies which have recieved less than descent PQ and/or AQ.

So far my DD would be:

Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Horrid PQ IMHO. I would love to see it re-released with PQ on par with 1 and 3

X-Men: The Last Stand - With the recent rumors of Fox plans for many BD releases this year and X-Men 1 & 2 being part of that rumor it got me curious. I know it was one of the earlier BD releases and I do find the PQ to be not so great. If Fox released the trilogy with a re-encode of 3 I'd definately double dip.

Saw - I don't own it and won't until there's a better PQ version available. The thread about the Japanese box set is what spurred the idea for this thread in my mind.

So how about it guys? Are you going to DD for any of your favorites?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 AM

hmm let me see

x-men i thought the pq was excellent and if im not mistaken had all the extras from the dvd, so i dont think that will get a double, or maybe it will once the wolverine movie comes out

re apoc.- i didnt think the quality horrid, but it could def. be better, but i dont see that getting a double dip

now saw i see def. getting a double dip, with the unrated directors cut

now a movie i am sure we will get double dips for

Termintor- maybe

T2- DEFINITELY

Spider-man 1 and 2- definitely
Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 AM

I've been holding off buying Terminator and T-2 until the PQ vastly improves. Hopefully, in the near future to save myself from double dipping.

Brad
Old 03-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
Resident Evil: Apocalypse - Horrid PQ IMHO.
I thought this one didn't look bad at all, some MPEG-2 artifacts in backgrounds, but nothing close to "horrid." A strong 8.5-9 out of 10 most of the time.

Though I felt Resident Evil was quite soft.

Quote:
I've been holding off buying Terminator...until the PQ vastly improves.
I'm waiting for a BD re-release with the original 1.0 mono audio track myself. The Dolby and PCM 5.1 remixes on the current BD completely replace numerous foley/A & B sound effects of the film's original mix, like gun shots/effects, impacts, car crashes, etc. For example, when the Terminator blows away the wrong Sarah Conner, his gun sounds just like Dirty Harry's hand cannon in the original mono mix. In the 5.1 remix, his gun sounds like that cheap silencer effect you hear over and over in Steven Seagal's latest epics. Even though that's just one example, there are numerous others. Like all the shotgun blasts sounding different in the car chase sequence.

The only optical disc release to feature the true 1.0 center channel mono mix (not split mono like MGM's SE DVD) is the ancient and out-of-print Hemdale/Image Entertainment DVD and LaserDisc.

Last edited by sehnzeleid; 03-29-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:07 PM

If Narnia doesn't have the extended cut, I'll double-dip (though it'll technically be a quadruple-dip). And Crash had horrible PQ, I'd double on that, and also Lara Croft: Tomb Raider.