Italian/German BD releases - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-28-2008, 02:54 PM

Default Italian/German BD releases

Just a question - I'm going to be traveling in a couple of months to Germany & Italy. Anyone know of any classic German or Italian titles (made in those countries) released on BD (Fellini movies, etc.)? Maybe a site that has that info? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:06 PM

There isn't much available that is specific of Italian cinema: find here attached a short list taken from this site (click on the image on the left side of the screen for a complete list):

http://www.dvd-store.it/

"Il mio nome nessuno" = "My name is nobody" (a "spaghetti western")
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070215/

"Per qualche dollaro in pi" ( a western by Sergio Leone, great movie and disk)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059578/

"Nero bifamiliare" ( a noir movie )
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0937414/

There are also some international movies that I haven't seen reviewed here on any other site so I suppose they are exclusive of the Italian market (take a look at the list): titles like "Factor Girl", "Jane Austin club", "Jerry Maguire".

Furthermore Hi def movies are nor easy to come by: you need to look for the big electronic chains (like MEDIAWORLD) or Video games stores (Gamestop or EB) : here in Italy the DVD, and believe me or not, the VHS are still the main thing !
Old 03-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimba1970 View Post
There are also some international movies that I haven't seen reviewed here on any other site so I suppose they are exclusive of the Italian market (take a look at the list): titles like "Factor Girl", "Jane Austin club", "Jerry Maguire".
'The Illusionist' is another title available on Blu-ray only in Italy.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimba1970 View Post
There isn't much available that is specific of Italian cinema: find here attached a short list taken from this site (click on the image on the left side of the screen for a complete list):

http://www.dvd-store.it/

"Il mio nome nessuno" = "My name is nobody" (a "spaghetti western")
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070215/

"Per qualche dollaro in pi" ( a western by Sergio Leone, great movie and disk)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059578/

"Nero bifamiliare" ( a noir movie )
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0937414/

Furthermore Hi def movies are nor easy to come by: you need to look for the big electronic chains (like MEDIAWORLD) or Video games stores (Gamestop or EB) : here in Italy the DVD, and believe me or not, the VHS are still the main thing !
I think I may very well pick up "For a Few Dollars More" while I'm there. Have you seen it, and if so can you speak as to the AQ/PQ of the transfer? Thanks for your input - much appreciated!!
Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
'The Illusionist' is another title available on Blu-ray only in Italy.
From what I read here it sounds like a decent transfer as well. I'll put this on my list - thanks!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Sorry to bump my own thread again, but instead of starting a new one....

Does anyone own the "For a Few Dollars More" Italian BD?

http://blu-ray.dvd.it/western/per-qu...io/id-1049119/

And if so, my real question is - is it really Region 2 as it says on the back, or is it the same deal as the Italian BD of The Illusionist, which says R2 but is really region free? The Blu-Ray Region Code Info site doesn't have it listed, unfortunately. Thanks again for any help!

Also - anyone from Germany that can speak of any local releases there?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:59 PM

I live in Germany, and as far as I can tell, there are very few German made films that are available here on Blu Ray. I've done a quick search on Amazon.de and can only find:

Lissi und der wilde Kaiser - (a CGI animated comedy from the guys who made 'Der Schuh Des Manitu'...very new film, never seen it, doubt it's 'classic')

The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) - I'm 99% sure that there are no English subtitles/overdub on that disc (same with the DVD), but then perhaps you understand German anyways

Schwerter des Knigs (Dungeon Siege) - Comes out end of April...it's an Uwe Boll film so it obviously falls into the 'classic' category ;o)

Das Parfum - An English language film, but made by Tom Tykwer and is based on a german book.

Neues vom Wixxer - No idea what that one is. Made in 2007, so again doubt that it is classic.

So as you can see, there's not alot available. I dont even think Run Lola Run is available here, although it can be bought as a UK Import on Amazon.de. But I'll keep my eye out over the next few weeks, and if I spot something I'll post it up asap. But if you want to search yourself, I'd say your best bet is to check out Amazon.de.

If you have any more questions about Blu Ray in good ol' Deutschland, post it up and I'd be happy to try and help.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifuge View Post
And if so, my real question is - is it really Region 2 as it says on the back, or is it the same deal as the Italian BD of The Illusionist, which says R2 but is really region free?
The Blu-ray regions are A, B, and C. Region 2 is a DVD designation. A listing that says Region 2 means that somebody just copied the DVD specs, not understanding the difference.

The actual region coding on that particular disc, I couldn't tell you.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The Blu-ray regions are A, B, and C. Region 2 is a DVD designation. A listing that says Region 2 means that somebody just copied the DVD specs, not understanding the difference.

The actual region coding on that particular disc, I couldn't tell you.
I'm going to assume whoever posted it meant Region B (Europe). I think dvd-store.it said the same thing.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
I live in Germany, and as far as I can tell, there are very few German made films that are available here on Blu Ray. I've done a quick search on Amazon.de and can only find:

Lissi und der wilde Kaiser - (a CGI animated comedy from the guys who made 'Der Schuh Des Manitu'...very new film, never seen it, doubt it's 'classic')

The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) - I'm 99% sure that there are no English subtitles/overdub on that disc (same with the DVD), but then perhaps you understand German anyways

Schwerter des Knigs (Dungeon Siege) - Comes out end of April...it's an Uwe Boll film so it obviously falls into the 'classic' category ;o)

Das Parfum - An English language film, but made by Tom Tykwer and is based on a german book.

Neues vom Wixxer - No idea what that one is. Made in 2007, so again doubt that it is classic.

So as you can see, there's not alot available. I dont even think Run Lola Run is available here, although it can be bought as a UK Import on Amazon.de. But I'll keep my eye out over the next few weeks, and if I spot something I'll post it up asap. But if you want to search yourself, I'd say your best bet is to check out Amazon.de.

If you have any more questions about Blu Ray in good ol' Deutschland, post it up and I'd be happy to try and help.
Thank you kindly - would be nice to see something like Metropolis, M or Das Boot on BD. Perfume (Das Parfum) I read good things about. Hopefully I can come back with a few discs from this trip. Thanks again!