Quick PotC question... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 PM

Default Quick PotC question...

So, I'm considering buying the first Pirates movie, and was wondering if it was safe to do so now, i.e., have the new fixed ones made their way to the shelves at a rate where I've got a good chance of not getting the mis-framed version?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM

So is there any indication on the packaging at all? Or does Disney hope to continue selling the missframed copies and hope most people don't notice....
Old 03-24-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viros View Post
So, I'm considering buying the first Pirates movie, and was wondering if it was safe to do so now, i.e., have the new fixed ones made their way to the shelves at a rate where I've got a good chance of not getting the mis-framed version?

I finally got my BR freebies from the rebate about a month ago and Pirates 1 was one of my choices. Since I knew what to look for I checked the disc right away and it was certainly correct.

So if I can get a freebie that's corrected, I suspect that the in-store (busier stores, that is) choice should be the corrected ones.

But don't quote me!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:25 PM

Stores have received newer versions with the corrected frame issues, however I don't believe there are any differences in the packaging... Even if by chance you receive the older version you'll still be able to get a replacement from Disney...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:48 PM

I've been thinking they might repackage these in a trilogy set for the holidays -- think that's a possibility?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Hmmm...so I've just basically gotta buy it and hope for the best? Damn Disney...they should've at least put some kind of subtle thing on the package, just like Sony did with the remastered Fifth Element. Anybody have a particular scene that's a good quick telltale of which version (misframed or not) I've got?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viros View Post
Hmmm...so I've just basically gotta buy it and hope for the best? Damn Disney...they should've at least put some kind of subtle thing on the package, just like Sony did with the remastered Fifth Element. Anybody have a particular scene that's a good quick telltale of which version (misframed or not) I've got?
I just checked AVS Forum where there is a thread in the BR Software section that I THINK is where I found the exact info on where the glitch occurs, frames, etc. I searched but cannot find it. It's early on in the film when Bloom and Depp are together in an interior scene and Bloom's head is cut off-- or partially so. I never saw the actual glitch as it was obvious at the particular Frame location that the disc was not impaired.
Maybe someone else on the forum can pinpoint the exact location of the glitch on the older discs. Sorry I couldn't find it.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 PM

I bought the first pirates 3 weeks ago from amazon and got the one with the framing issues
Old 03-24-2008, 04:25 PM

Damn, that reminds me... I still need to get mine replaced!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenola2 View Post
It's early on in the film when Bloom and Depp are together in an interior scene and Bloom's head is cut off-- or partially so.
Ooohh!!! That's the version I want!

I bought mine back in January at Best Buy, and it did not have the framing issue. I think you're safe, but just check it when you get home to be sure.