Narnia Fans: A Call to Battle! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-24-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Narnia Fans: A Call to Battle!

Why should we let Disney push us around? Why should we let them decide what they want us to see? We want the extended cut on Blu-ray, right? Let's let them know. I called Disney this morning to lodge a complaint; I was told that my complaint would be forwarded to marketing. I asked about any other complaints concerning the matter. Goose eggs. I inquired about the upcoming BD release. Her response: "We don't have any information about which release it will be. It comes out in May, so most likely, they already decided which version they'll release."

For all Narnia, and Blu-ray too, fans, let's let Disney know that if we're going to pay premium price for the best release, we want the best cut. Call them today, please. And tell everybody you know to call and make a complaint. My one complaint may not do anything, but a number of complaints will at least cause them to consider a later, extended cut release.

Walt Disney Home Entertainment: 1-800-723-4763. Press "0" when prompted to talk to a Customer care representative.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 AM

I totally agree.
seamless branching should be utilized on this release imo since that's one thing bd offers that we heard about ad infinitum during the "war."
btw: I called and complained also.

btw: I also said it would be nice to get the "new" redone "Pirates I" discs into actual stores with labels saying this is the corrected disc.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Smile Let the Director Decide Which "Cuts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I totally agree.
seamless branching should be utilized on this release imo since that's one thing bd offers that we heard about ad infinitum during the "war."
btw: I called and complained also.

btw: I also said it would be nice to get the "new" redone "Pirates I" discs into actual stores with labels saying this is the corrected disc.
I agree with Arkadin here that the Narnia BR disc should certainly offer both theatrical and extended versions with seamless branching.
BUT-- I must demur that directors and filmmakers know what really constitutes a "director's cut" and a "marketing-tool director's cut," and that we, the viewer, should and must defer to their decisions here.
The Narnia "extended edition" was almost universally dismissed as a bulged-out-by-4-minutes overpadded slow-down of an excitingly edited piece-- particularly, where most of the additions are, in the final big battle scene.

So--- I agree with both posters here to the extent that both versions of "Narnia/Wardrobe" should be on the new BR set--- but NOT JUST the "extended edition" designed by Disney & Co. just as a major double-dipper last Christmas!!

A "director's cut" should be just that!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM

I never saw the extended. What was added to it?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:25 PM

There can, in no good way, be no good description given on what the "extended cut" included. As far as storytelling was concerned, no, the added scenes were not necessary in the least. Yes, it did slow the pace of the storytelling; I concur to that. But I disagree that it was "dragged out." IMO, and apparently to a lot of people, too, the extra scenes added something to the movie that the theatrical cut just didn't have. To me (can't speak for everyone else), it added charm to just how magical Narnia was supposed to be. For example, in the

****SPOILER!!****SPOILER!!******SPOILER!!********* ***************
scene where they're traveling from Western Wood to Beaversdam, and Lucy stops and bends over to look into the ice and she can see a fish frozen in the ice.

Was that necessary for storytelling purposes? Absolutely not. We got the idea in the theatrical cut, which was told very well. But it added to the sheer depth of the film, IMVHO. And the theatrical cut just can't do it for me.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Link to DVD Talk review Narnia Ext Edt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
I never saw the extended. What was added to it?
Here's a very complete analysis of the extended edition in the review on DVD Talk. This link is to the full review in which the seven minutes (not four as I said, sorry!) worth of additions are detailed (watch for the Spoiler note) and discussed.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=25491&___rd=1

Again, I do believe that both editions of "Narnia/Wardrobe" should be seamlessly branched on the upcoming BR release, but I do not believe that "extended" or "director's cut" versions become the exclusive norm for viewing all films on Blu-Ray or DVD.

That being said, I certainly want the Extended LOTR editions--- branched with the Theatrical or not.

Last edited by ilovenola2; 03-24-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Adding link that was left out
Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluAngel View Post
There can, in no good way, be no good description given on what the "extended cut" included. As far as storytelling was concerned, no, the added scenes were not necessary in the least. Yes, it did slow the pace of the storytelling; I concur to that. But I disagree that it was "dragged out." IMO, and apparently to a lot of people, too, the extra scenes added something to the movie that the theatrical cut just didn't have. To me (can't speak for everyone else), it added charm to just how magical Narnia was supposed to be. For example, in the

****SPOILER!!****SPOILER!!******SPOILER!!********* ***************
scene where they're traveling from Western Wood to Beaversdam, and Lucy stops and bends over to look into the ice and she can see a fish frozen in the ice.

Was that necessary for storytelling purposes? Absolutely not. We got the idea in the theatrical cut, which was told very well. But it added to the sheer depth of the film, IMVHO. And the theatrical cut just can't do it for me.
But the theatrical cut CAN do it for many others! I'm not saying you are wrong here-- I'm agreeing that BOTH versions should be available on the same BR release for the choice of the viewer. That way leads to satisfying viewing for us all.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovenola2 View Post
That being said, I certainly want the Extended LOTR editions--- branched with the Theatrical or not.
The difference between theatrical LOTR and Extended is night and day. I won't even bother buying the theatrical on Blu-Ray (which you know they'll release 1st) in hopes of an extended.

I was hoping Narnia extended was like that.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Here's a very complete analysis of the extended edition in the review on DVD Talk. This link is to the full review in which the seven minutes (not four as I said, sorry!) worth of additions are detailed (watch for the Spoiler note) and discussed.

Again, I do believe that both editions of "Narnia/Wardrobe" should be seamlessly branched on the upcoming BR release, but I do not believe that "extended" or "director's cut" versions become the exclusive norm for viewing all films on Blu-Ray or DVD.

Where's the link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
The difference between theatrical LOTR and Extended is night and day. I won't even bother buying the theatrical on Blu-Ray (which you know they'll release 1st) in hopes of an extended.

I was hoping Narnia extended was like that.
I never saw the extended version of LOTR, so I can't compare. There was no added dialogue an any of the added scenes. It was just that - scenes. The battle was longer, the trip from the wardrobe to eventually Aslan's camp was longer and the time at the train station was longer. (I think the hide-and-seek game was longer, too, but I'm not sure...)
Old 03-24-2008, 12:42 PM

Red face The Missing Ext-Cut-Review Link-- Oops!

Quote:

Please excuse the invitation to a link and then no link.
Here it is:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read....=25491&___rd=1

Edit-- I've also added the link to the original post. Sorry for the confusion and yes, let's have our COMPLETE Blu-Ray "Narnia/Wardrobe" disc!!