'Beowulf: Director's Cut (UK Import)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-21-2008, 12:08 PM

Default 'Beowulf: Director's Cut (UK Import)' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'Beowulf: Director's Cut (UK Import)' has been posted. He says it's a thrilling animated action film that expands the classic tale with intriguing additions to the story and the characters. This Blu-ray import release features a stunning transfer that matches the five-star domestic HD DVD and ups the ante with a TrueHD mix that sounds even better than the HD DVD's mind-blowing Digital Plus mix. Unfortunately, some HD DVD exclusive features didn't make the transfer to Blu-ray, but this one is still recommended for fans who can't wait for Paramount to get their Blu-ray release system up and running.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1420/beowulf_uk.html
Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 PM

This is exactly why I went Blu:
Their uncompromising use of losseless audio. I might end up importing this movie, or waiting for the US release.

HD DVD only owners will never understand until they listen to BD soundtracks. This is why I will be buying Transformers on BD when it is released.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Hells yea i just ordered 2 copies myself from amazon UK.

One to keep and one to trade off!!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Default Makes you wonder

Makes you wonder, if Beowolf improves in sonic quality when jumping from dd+ to True hd why wouldn't transformers see a singnificant upgrade. According to die hard dd+ fans, both Beowolf and Transformers dd+ encodes are transparent to the master. That obviously isn't the case, if Beowolf has a noticable sonic upgrade with true hd it seems despite the crowing of the dd+ lovers, the hd dvd dd+ is not transparent to the master.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsegrinder View Post
Hells yea i just ordered 2 copies myself from amazon UK.

One to keep and one to trade off!!
I will wait to see if Xploited will get it first, then order from Europe. Good thing that I cancelled my HD DVD order.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post
Makes you wonder, if Beowolf improves in sonic quality when jumping from dd+ to True hd why wouldn't transformers see a singnificant upgrade. According to die hard dd+ fans, both Beowolf and Transformers dd+ encodes are transparent to the master. That obviously isn't the case, if Beowolf has a noticable sonic upgrade with true hd it seems despite the crowing of the dd+ lovers, the hd dvd dd+ is not transparent to the master.
Transformers HD DVD though a great mix was not lossless. And the thing was LFE lacking. I will be upgrading to a BD copy when it is release. And I can pretty much guarantee you that Paramount will put a superior audio track in it.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDanMaster View Post
This is exactly why I went Blu:
Their uncompromising use of losseless audio. I might end up importing this movie, or waiting for the US release.

HD DVD only owners will never understand until they listen to BD soundtracks. This is why I will be buying Transformers on BD when it is released.
That's funny.... UK HD DVD of Beowulf, also from Wanrer, comes with the exact same TrueHD soundtrack the Blu-Ray version has.

Seriously dude. HD DVD is dead and you still have some weird... (in a matt damon voice) "Blu-Ray is better... HD DVD sucks" inferiority complex. Get a new hobby for the sake of the rest of us, you are making humanity look bad... please?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:05 PM

Another reason to NEVER give a 5 star rating to a LOSSY audio track.

Like I said before when Transformers got 5 stars for audio, What happens when the lossless version comes out and it sounds better?? Are you going to give it 6 stars??
Old 03-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDanMaster View Post
I will wait to see if Xploited will get it first, then order from Europe. Good thing that I cancelled my HD DVD order.
Yea i got the priority express shipping option,. says mine will arrive wednesday or thursday..

Lets hope!!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post
Another reason to NEVER give a 5 star rating to a LOSSY audio track.

Like I said before when Transformers got 5 stars for audio, What happens when the lossless version comes out and it sounds better?? Are you going to give it 6 stars??
I kind of see your point but don't really agree. If the PQ/AQ is good and is 5 star quality then it should get 5 stars. Just because a lossless track came out that's better means it's a 5 and should just be noted in the section. The Beowulf Hd DVD track is better than most of the audio tracks on either format, so why dock if its better? Especially if you couldn't compare at the time. Just cause there is a lossless track Blu-ray version in the Uk it doesnt make the lossy version sound bad all of the sudden, it still is demo material audio.