I Am Legend video problem? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2008, 07:21 PM

Default I Am Legend video problem?

***PROBLEM SOLVED***

Thank you to all who helped, especially MrE

--
I posted this in the I Am Legend review thread, but still have not gotten an answer:

I had a concern about the video on my system... In a couple shots, the blacks went from Deep Black to a kind of Sepia tone...

Why is this lack of quality ignored in the review?

It happens a couple times. The only scene I can pinpoint is when Robert chases after Sam in that dark building. Most of it is Deep Black, but one shot turns into Sepia-ish blacks, then the shot after that it gets back to Deep Black... There are a couple shots like this throughout the movie.

Most prominent occurs at 00:29:08 - 00:29:31

Like I said, not a huge deal, but I wonder why it wasn't mentioned in the review. Unless I'm the only one experiencing this?

Is anyone else experiencing this slight issue at all?

Specs That I Know Of:
27" LCD Samsung HDTV (got it around Late 2005, if I'm not wrong)
PlayStation 3 system
Component Cable connection
720p-native resolution, but I believe it is upscaling to 1080i for all my Blu-rays

Last edited by MasterChief3624; 03-20-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
I posted this in the I Am Legend review thread, but still have not gotten an answer:

I had a concern about the video on my system... In a couple shots, the blacks went from Deep Black to a kind of Sepia tone...

Why is this lack of quality ignored in the review?

It happens a couple times. The only scene I can pinpoint is when Robert chases after Sam in that dark building. Most of it is Deep Black, but one shot turns into Sepia-ish blacks, then the shot after that it gets back to Deep Black... There are a couple shots like this throughout the movie.

Like I said, not a huge deal, but I wonder why it wasn't mentioned in the review. Unless I'm the only one experiencing this?

Is anyone else experiencing this slight issue at all?
In posting problems like this, it is helpful to know what your setup is, i.e.: BD player, TV resolution, how they are connected, etc...
Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

could just be your TV. is it calibrated properly? I'll pop in the disc later tonight and see if I notice this.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 PM

That would be a great idea. Sorry. Specs:

27" LCD Samsung HDTV (got it around Late 2005, if I'm not wrong)
PlayStation 3 system
Component Cable connection
720p-native resolution, but I believe it is upscaling to 1080i for all my Blu-rays

...and...is that all you need?

MrE: I don't know how to "calibrate" my television... So I would believe that is a no, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
MrE: I don't know how to "calibrate" my television... So I would believe that is a no, but I'm not sure.
Do you happen to have Ratatouille? There is a built-in calibration feature you can use. You will have to skip the filter section since you wont have the filter on hand.

BTW - since 720p is your TVs native res you should set your PS3 to 720p
Old 03-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
Do you happen to have Ratatouille? There is a built-in calibration feature you can use. You will have to skip the filter section since you wont have the filter on hand.
Of course I have Ratatouille

Let me go ahead and try that out.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Of course I have Ratatouille

Let me go ahead and try that out.
I edited my last reply so I just want to repeat what I added in case you missed it.

Since 720p is your TVs native res, you should set your PS3 to 720p
Old 03-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I edited my last reply so I just want to repeat what I added in case you missed it.

Since 720p is your TVs native res, you should set your PS3 to 720p
Oh really?

...Maybe that's my problem?

I have it set to 1080i...as is the case for my 360 as well. I thought that was okay to do since it upscales fine?

When I do the Display test to see if my TV can put an image of 1080i up, it works, though...
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Oh really?

...Maybe that's my problem?

I have it set to 1080i...as is the case for my 360 as well. I thought that was okay to do since it upscales fine?

When I do the Display test to see if my TV can put an image of 1080i up, it works, though...
it will work because your TV accepts a 1080i signal BUT your TV will only display at 720p because that is the native res of the LCD. Leaving it at 1080i will only increase chances of seeing that annoying interlaced ghosting effect.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
it will work because your TV accepts a 1080i signal BUT your TV will only display at 720p because that is the native res of the LCD. Leaving it at 1080i will only increase chances of seeing that annoying interlaced ghosting effect.

Woah snap! That's one thing I've hated about my television as of late was the ghosting

That must be my problem...

I am trying to set-up the calibration thing with Ratatouille, but I don't know if I'm doing it right... The supposed right brightness level is far too dark, and the supposedly right Contrast level is also way to dark.

And I can't find a "Gamma" option on my television