How much better do you think Taxi Driver would look? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2008, 05:04 PM

Default How much better do you think Taxi Driver would look?

Im trying tondecide if I should just go ahead and purchase Taxi Driver on SD DVD or If I should just waitand see ifthere is a BR announcement, I did notice a place holder on Amazon for it, but was wondering if it would be worth it to just wait.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

It will look better than the standard DVD no doubt about it. It's not like it was filmed with 480i video cameras.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:12 PM

Well...I actually don't want to see the transfer cleaned up a lot. I like the gritty and dirty look of the film already.

Really adds to the effect of the messages and themes throughout. I don't know if I really want a high-definition release for it.

Know what I mean?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Well...I actually don't want to see the transfer cleaned up a lot. I like the gritty and dirty look of the film already.

Really adds to the effect of the messages and themes throughout. I don't know if I really want a high-definition release for it.

Know what I mean?
No I don't.

I want to see the movies the way they were intended to be seen. It will still look gritty to a point as that was the intended effect.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Oh, smh. I forgot this topic was asking about if you should get the DVD right now or just wait for the Blu-ray.

The transfer on the DVD is pretty good, and the Special Features are pretty damn impressive. I say you get it on Standard DVD and don't bother getting the Blu-ray.

Just my opinion of course. Had this been for almost any other film, I would say wait for the Blu-ray, but there's something special about Taxi Driver that I just can't put my finger on... makes me not want to recommend a high-definition release for it.

Hope this helps
Old 03-20-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Im trying tondecide if I should just go ahead and purchase Taxi Driver on SD DVD or If I should just waitand see ifthere is a BR announcement, I did notice a place holder on Amazon for it, but was wondering if it would be worth it to just wait.
Well, I watched it on HDMovies Network and it didn't look spectacular but for sure it looked better than standard DVD. Remember this was a late 70's film, I think it'll have the same look as the original Superman movie.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:17 PM

i want it cleaned up alot with a new unique color tone. the flesh u know...that would be badass!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 PM

I think it would be a good idea, if they do bring out a high-definition disc for Taxi Driver, for them to put two versions on one disc:

For the High-Def hounds - High definition transfer that has been restored frame-by-frame. Incredible clarity and such.

For the Purists - High definition transfer that has only been sharpened a little bit.

I don't know... and just so they don't get sued for not being clear, they add the Purist version as a Bonus Feature so people don't get confused.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 PM

I think I may wait a little while still just to see if there is some new announcement. Since HD has been killed im really trying to concentrate on building up my HD DVD collection and im finding tons of titles for cheap now. Plus im actually wondering how this title would lookon my plasma. I have a Toshiba Plasma and it seems that the tv does not seem to take some standard dvds to well. Of course the last few standard dvds that ive watched( Essex Boys, Gangster No 1) are movies that probably arent taken to well on any tv for that matterso I might just be paranoid. I popped in LOTR for a few minusted and that looked pretty damn good IMO.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
I think it would be a good idea, if they do bring out a high-definition disc for Taxi Driver, for them to put two versions on one disc:

For the High-Def hounds - High definition transfer that has been restored frame-by-frame. Incredible clarity and such.

For the Purists - High definition transfer that has only been sharpened a little bit.

I don't know... and just so they don't get sued for not being clear, they add the Purist version as a Bonus Feature so people don't get confused.
The high-def hounds version would be the same as the version for purists. Thats because purists want to see what was intended. When a film receives a complete restoration its not magically adding detail to the film that wasn't meant to be seen. Its just restoring the film to the condition it was before it became damaged/dirtied.