Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Default Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics

Is anyone else planning on picking this up? I am curious how difficult it may be to find in stores. With many stores carrying a limited amount of catalog titles and discs in general, they may not even order a calibration disc...
Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 PM

I may be getting it. I have calibrated my set with various settings posted online. I am really interested about calibrating myself using my eyes though. Afterall, I have two sets in the house to officially calibrate. As far as availability goes, just call around. Best Buy, Frys, Circuit City, etc... or you could get it through Amazon.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSireeBob View Post
Is anyone else planning on picking this up? I am curious how difficult it may be to find in stores. With many stores carrying a limited amount of catalog titles and discs in general, they may not even order a calibration disc...
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...6047050&sr=8-1

Problem solved.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM

Have it pre-ordered at Amazon.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:27 PM

dont certain TV's need a special code that you have to punch in to get at some more advanced menus? if so then how much calibration can really be done with just the basic menus? woulnt getting this disk without full access to all of the TV's settings kinda defeat the purpose?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordeux View Post
dont certain TV's need a special code that you have to punch in to get at some more advanced menus? if so then how much calibration can really be done with just the basic menus? woulnt getting this disk without full access to all of the TV's settings kinda defeat the purpose?

All TVs require a certain code to enter its service menu and they're typically easy to obtain. If you do a search at avsforums you'll find it.

Quite a bit can be done with the basic menus.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
All TVs require a certain code to enter its service menu and they're typically easy to obtain. If you do a search at avsforums you'll find it.

Quite a bit can be done with the basic menus.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess it woulnt be a bad idea to give it a whirl if thats the case.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 PM

I had Joe Kane personally demo this to me and some of my associates at CES.

Its a hell of a lot easier than older version of DVE to navigate and use.

Highly recommended.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
I had Joe Kane personally demo this to me and some of my associates at CES.

Its a hell of a lot easier than older version of DVE to navigate and use.

Highly recommended.
Thank god. That was always a big issue for me in previous iterations. Not that I didn't know how to use it just could of used more refinement in that area.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Just give it a rent.