When will Warner Release More TV on BD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 AM

Default When will Warner Release More TV on BD?

Not sure if this has been covered before, but has there been any mention of more Warner tv on BD? All we've gotten is incomplete Smallville and Nip Tuck. Just came across a website that mentioned someone working on re-editing Friends for 16:9 HD. Referenced here http://dvcreators.net/about/
Also, the show's original source elements are in 16:9 according to them. Wonder if any other 4:3 Broadcast shows are like this.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 AM

From all I've heard TV shows sell absolutely beyond horrible on HD. I think Lost (probably the most popular show on HD) sold only a paltry 1000 copies it's first week.

So, I wouldn't expect too many TV in HD anytime. Hell, most TV shows sell badly on DVD, with it millions upon millions in it's user base.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofJarJar View Post
Just came across a website that mentioned someone working on re-editing Friends for 16:9 HD. Referenced here http://dvcreators.net/about/
Also, the show's original source elements are in 16:9 according to them.
I don't know where it says the source elements are 16:9, but if they have to "re-edit" the whole thing, they aren't. But it was originally shot on 35mm, according to the IMDb, so loss of detail shouldn't be a problem if they're planning to matte it after the fact.

Given how little information is actually there, I really hope this is just for broadcast on HD channels and not for an actual disc release; vertically pan & scanning TV shows (and Academy ratio movies) for high-def releases is exactly the kind of trend that should not start happening.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 AM

I just want Spin City to come to HD,, or even SD!!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack View Post
From all I've heard TV shows sell absolutely beyond horrible on HD. I think Lost (probably the most popular show on HD) sold only a paltry 1000 copies it's first week.

So, I wouldn't expect too many TV in HD anytime. Hell, most TV shows sell badly on DVD, with it millions upon millions in it's user base.
Well look at the Prices they are charging. I paid $39.99 for Season 3 of Galactica, the list on it when it comes out will be $99, so maybe $69 will be a reasonable price for it, still Double that of the SD. Truth be told the SD upconverted by my PS3 looks pretty Darn good, not worth double to get a marginal upgrade in picture (Especially with the Grainy Dark look of BSG)
Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krylonman View Post
I don't know where it says the source elements are 16:9, but if they have to "re-edit" the whole thing, they aren't. But it was originally shot on 35mm, according to the IMDb, so loss of detail shouldn't be a problem if they're planning to matte it after the fact.
Actually found it in a follow up google search with the guy's name in question.

Quote:
They shoot in 16:9 so the guides are actually 4:3, what you're seeing today on your 4:3 tv. Look for "Friends" (shot on film) re-runs in HD 16:9 aspect ratio in a few years.
http://dvcreators.net/discuss/showthread.php?t=7287

But that was 2005 so who knows. I do think they need to come down in price before any real interest peaks.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:49 PM

I really want Dexter Season 1 and 2 from showtime on Blu . Or Six Feet Under(any seasons)!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostofJarJar View Post
Actually found it in a follow up google search with the guy's name in question.

http://dvcreators.net/discuss/showthread.php?t=7287

But that was 2005 so who knows. I do think they need to come down in price before any real interest peaks.
Aha, interesting.

Quote:
A lot of TV shows are shot with 4:3 guides so when the re-runs hit in the future they won't be chopping off any important part of the scene in either 16:9 or 4:3.
That's definitely true. Pretty much any sitcom or news broadcast shot in HD makes this really obvious; there's never anything important going on outside of a 4:3 area in the center of the frame, so that it's as easy as possible to convert it to SD without letterboxing it.

Quote:
They shoot in 16:9 so the guides are actually 4:3, what you're seeing today on your 4:3 tv. Look for "Friends" (shot on film) re-runs in HD 16:9 aspect ratio in a few years.
That's where he lost me though. If "Friends" was shot on 35 it'd actually be more likely (actually, almost certain) that it was 4:3; there's really no such thing as a 16:9 film frame, and in fact 4:3 is indeed the aspect ratio of a 35mm frame. Resolution-wise it's totally ready for HD, but aspect ratio-wise it only is if they were deliberately intending for it to be matted later and left areas on the top and bottom without any important information (like HD shows are shot now, but vertically instead of sideways). I guess they could have been thinking of this as far back as 1994, when the show started, but I kind of doubt it.

(Or it could be a hard matte, in which case the "Friends" episodes we've been seeing have all been chopped off on the sides and they'd be adding information back in, but that seems even less likely.)

Not that I care about preserving the artistic integrity of "Friends." It's just that if this is a case of pan & scan rather than their deliberately filming it to be adapted to 16:9 later, that's not a great precedent to be setting.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
I really want Dexter Season 1 and 2 from showtime on Blu . Or Six Feet Under(any seasons)!

+1 TO THE EXTREEEME. Those DVDs of "Dexter" keep taunting me, and I keep making...myself...not...buy...them and telling myself they'll be on Blu-ray any day now.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:42 PM

I really want:

Star Trek: TOS
Star Trek: Next Generation
Stargate SG1
Stargate Atlantis
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica [New One]

Mostly Sci Fi stuff although I have heard how Next Generation and Babylon 5 will be hard to do in HD due to special effects or something.