If the UK gets Sweeney in April, we can't be far off... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-19-2008, 04:41 PM

Default If the UK gets Sweeney in April, we can't be far off...

...right?

I nearly purchased the British Blu-ray of Sweeney Todd, but figured it'd be more economical (and reliable, as, to my knowledge, no specs are yet released) to hold out for an American authorized version.

My point is, since Warner Bros. has made the transfer from cinema to Blu-ray and slapped a "UK" label on the product, America should surely get a similar version within the following weeks, right? My hesitation lies in the fact that zero announcements have been made regarding either continent's version, and such promulgations typically arrive months before a given movie's release.

What are your thoughts?

And apologies for another Todd thread, I just couldn't help it.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 PM

I know it was supposed to be HD-DVD release here and since there has not been a mention, Id say we arent getting it on Blu immediately. But that's just my opinion, I am personally hoping for this movie on Blu, and I'll import it if I have to.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Sweeney Todd is a Warner Bros release here in Britain but in the US it was distributed by Paramount / Dreamworks. It was the same situation with The Island, which we have but you don't. Unfortunately you'll have to wait till Paramount get their Blu-Ray production back into gear. As far as I know, all Warners' UK discs are region free though (so far).
Old 03-19-2008, 05:26 PM

i bet we dont see it here till summer...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

You should NEVER assume a movie will be coming soon here just because its being released in another country. Most of the time different studios have the rights to different movies overseas. Warner has no control of Sweeney Todd in the US in this case so we have to wait for Paramount to put its Blu-ray plans into motion.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX View Post
You should NEVER assume a movie will be coming soon here just because its being released in another country. Most of the time different studios have the rights to different movies overseas. Warner has no control of Sweeney Todd in the US in this case so we have to wait for Paramount to put its Blu-ray plans into motion.

Very true. If HD DVD hadn't died, and the format war was still raging...you'd still be seeing this Blu-ray release of Todd in international waters. One is not directly related to the other, save for Paramount and WB sharing the profits of said release.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 PM

unfortunately...in the uk it's coming out in May so even if Paramount wants to beat the WB version to market...they've got til May.

ANNOUNCE SOMETHING PARAMOUNT!!! ARGH
Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0uble0se7en View Post
unfortunately...in the uk it's coming out in May so even if Paramount wants to beat the WB version to market...they've got til May.

ANNOUNCE SOMETHING PARAMOUNT!!! ARGH
I second that ARGH. Paramount......we are waiting. Throw us a frickin bone here.