Is Enchanted...well, Enchanted? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-18-2008, 02:19 PM

Default Is Enchanted...well, Enchanted?

Hee hee...hope you guys like the title of this thread. And I thunk of it all by myself!

Okay, so I never saw the movie before. I blind bought this. Imagine my surprise when, after the opening sequence of pristine 1080(i) eye-watering clarity, um...well, the animated sequence goes...letterboxed...and still with eye-watering clarity. I skipped forward to the live-action sequence, and it's back to being widescreen, and I immediately then stopped the playback since I've never seen the movie before and I didn't want to spoil anything for myself. So, my question: Is the animated sequence supposed to be letterboxed?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:21 PM

I believe it is. Think that it is noted as such on HDD review of Enchanted.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:56 PM

I must have missed it. I'll look again.

*EDIT* Nope, no mention of it. If anybody else has a copy, could you please tell me if it's supposed to be like that? I'm dying to watch it! (Not literally, thank goodness... )
Old 03-18-2008, 03:04 PM

Yeah the beginning animated sequence and the live action portion are two different aspect ratios.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

Yeah, it was that way in the theaters.....
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM

This review specifically mentions it:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...56&show=review
Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 PM

Default It's okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhefer1 View Post
Yeah, it was that way in the theaters.....

Sure was!! And I can't wait to see it on my on-the-way Blu-Ray disc!!

It's a delightful movie!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 PM

Well, I'll tell you. I just finished watching it, and...well, how can I describe my reaction? I think that after much debate, there is only one word that can come close to how I feel about this movie.

WOW!!!

Disney, you keep outdoing yourself with these landmark movies. When it first started, I thought, oh, here we go with another fairy tale classic. I was almost ready to stop watching it. I hate fairy tales. (Though Fairy Tale is one of my favorite movies. )

The live-action sequence was immensely enjoyable...and hilarious! It's amazing how Disney, the very motion picture company who grew from fairy tales, was able to make a parody of the very thing. We all knew how ridiculous fairy tales were. Maybe that's why they were (are) so popular. But to see a fairy tale story amid real people show the stark differences side-by-side. And Disney did an excellent job of it. Now, I have to tell everybody I know. If they haven't seen Enchanted, they definitely must.

Btw, thanks for all of you guys' help.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 PM

The problem is that the animated portion is 1:85:1 and the film is 2:35:1. I guess they're not capable of making an encode that has one portion in one aspect ratio and another in a different one--and making two files might lead to delay (where's seamless branching?) in the switch.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
The problem is that the animated portion is 1:85:1 and the film is 2:35:1. I guess they're not capable of making an encode that has one portion in one aspect ratio and another in a different one--and making two files might lead to delay (where's seamless branching?) in the switch.
True, they were two different aspect ratios, but they were displayed at the same height. Giving the opening sequence a window box look. I don't think it was an encode issue at all. But was meant to make the image open up more once it started. The packaging lists the opening sequence as "story-book".
Similar to the way the Simpsons Movie opens up from full frame aspect ratio to widescreen at the intro....