'The Night of the Werewolf/Vengeance of the Zombies' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 PM

Default 'The Night of the Werewolf/Vengeance of the Zombies' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'The Night of the Werewolf/Vengeance of the Zombies' has been posted. He says fans of retro-silliness might want to check these out on Blu-ray. The transfers are inconsistent but have some impressive points, and there are even a few nice extras. This is a no-brainer for Naschy fans, but for fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1192...hezombies.html
Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 PM

good news regarding these releases. I have been thinking about ordering this title for a while now. now sounds like a good time.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 PM

The reviewer doesn't mention judder and freezing glitches that posters here and on other boards have noted. Did BCI correct the titles and issue a new batch of discs?

Last edited by Deputy Doug; 03-18-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 PM

I was kind of wondering about that myself. I have a bd-30 and have never read about people using this player with this disc. I feel it was probably a player issue. When I get this I will report back.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Word to the wise: The aspect ratios are mixed up in the review. 'Night of the Werewolf' is at 1.85:1, and 'Vengeance of the Zombies' is 1.37:1. Otherwise the information about release dates and transfer quality is right (I'm surprised one looked so much better than the other!).

Here's my particular story about freezing. Watched 'Werewolf' all the way through with no problems, although it had horrible 3:2 pulldown-looking judder that I attributed to a badly done master (I was watching at 1080i, if that makes a difference). 'Zombies' I haven't sat down and watched, but I've skipped through several chapters to take a look at it, and each time I do I don't have to wait long to see a frame freeze for a second while the soundtrack continues on. Either skipping to a chapter is what actually causes this, or it just happens quite a lot during the course of the movie. It's at the same frames every time, and it's not a consistent distance from the chapter stop. All of this is on a 40GB PS3.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 PM

Out of all the horror library to release...
Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 PM

Both get 2.0/5.0 for sound but total it gets 3.0/5.0 for sound?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Yes, please do report back, Arkadin.

There were several posts of complaints about this title on another board. One PS3 user had problems, one BD-30 user reported no problems and the others did not mention what player they had. So far here we have one confirmed PS3 user with problems.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:12 AM

Angry

I am using a PS3 and had problems with Vengeance as well. Werewolf played perfect, but Vengeance kept skipping around. The audio would continue to play but it was like some one paused the picture for a second and then rejoined the film to match the audio. I got it on Amazon so I replaced it and had the same issues, although it skipped in different spots. I hope BCI will do something to fix this as I really want to watch it.
Josh
Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghidrah View Post
I am using a PS3 and had problems with Vengeance as well. Werewolf played perfect, but Vengeance kept skipping around. The audio would continue to play but it was like some one paused the picture for a second and then rejoined the film to match the audio.
Yes, that's it exactly. I was thinking of trying to get a replacement, but on the basis of this I'm guessing that it's not a single bad batch or something. Too bad.