Availability of Blu-Ray DVDs in Brick & Mortar Stores - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Availability of Blu-Ray DVDs in Brick & Mortar Stores

Members,

I've been noticing a lack of distribution...if that's the word for it...of some of the New titles in Brick & Mortar Stores.

I've noticed that new titles have few numbers "in the racks" on the first day of release and their subsequent presence goes down from there to NOTHING available, and ANYWHERE, for long periods of time.

Online, they are ALWAYS available and there is no problem getting a copy...EVER !

Is this intentional for the software distributors to get and keep people "going online" for their purchases, as opposed to going to traditional retail store outlets ????

Thanks for sharing...

Mike
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM

I've been told by BB employees that due to so many film releases and the competitive nature of DVD sales, shelf space is extremely limited and a certain amount of that space always has to be reserved for new relelases. I'm sure the same goes for Blu-Ray. Being somewhat of a niche sci-fi film collector, I've oftentimes griped at Best Buy's lack of films on hand compared to the selection at the online store and I'm always given the "shelf space" excuse.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh TX View Post
I've been told by BB employees that due to so many film releases and the competitive nature of DVD sales, shelf space is extremely limited and a certain amount of that space always has to be reserved for new relelases. I'm sure the same goes for Blu-Ray. Being somewhat of a niche sci-fi film collector, I've oftentimes griped at Best Buy's lack of films on hand compared to the selection at the online store and I'm always given the "shelf space" excuse.

It seems that "space" has more Standard Def dvds in it than the highly hyped Blu-Ray. It's interesting that for all the HYPE about making all the Press Noice about "preferring" Blu-Ray, ALL stores are still "slaves" to what people "want".

A two store local "chain" to me, has a more of a thorough stock of ALL Blu-Ray titles than ANY BB, Target, FYE, Wal-Mart, CC, that I have been in, locally.

And the "local" chain's prices are MORE competitive, too.

One issue that I don't think has been raised....I get the feeling "The Studios" were caught with their "knickers down"...and are scrambing around in the background to get Product "out there". AND FAST !
Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 AM

The only place around me that carries them is FYE. I can't complain about the amount of space Blu-Ray is given in that store, but you'd have to be an idiot to buy anything there. Most are priced $35-$40.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned

Blu-ray Disc's are not DVD's.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX View Post
Blu-ray Disc's are not DVD's.
*snicker* i was wondering who was going to point that out
Old 03-18-2008, 01:10 PM

yup, definite pet peeve of mine also. Just call 'em BDs. Oh, and those apostrophes weren't necessary, GamerGuy.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 PM

I think the reason B&M stock is limited is the price issue. More stock is sent to Amazon and the like because they sell more. I buy/pre order all my blurays through Amazon. They're always cheaper then BB/Target/Walmart etc.

Until Bestbuy stops selling the movies at SRP, I will not be buying any movies from them.

Example. They list I am Legend for 27.99 yet I just paid 18.95 for it at Amazon.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Oh, and those apostrophes weren't necessary, GamerGuy.
O'h reall'y?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdfan View Post
I've been noticing a lack of distribution...if that's the word for it...of some of the New titles in Brick & Mortar Stores.

Talk to Customer Service if you are not happly with
their selection. Each store does it's own ordering.
It has nothing to do with distribution.