Non-conformist BD cases...David Gilmour, I'm looking at you. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-18-2008, 01:27 AM

Default Non-conformist BD cases...David Gilmour, I'm looking at you.

So I just got David Gilmour's BD "Remember That Night", and thoroughly enjoyed most of it. But after I was done watching it and put it back on my shelf, I noticed something annoying. The other 57 BDs I own are all the same size, and line up perfectly, but not this one. It is taller, wider, and not even in a BD case at all, but a cardboard foldout case. It sticks out like a sore thumb, looks out of place, and is going to get worn corners etc because it's not a plastic case.

Maybe I'm just overly picky or something but that just drives me nuts. I do have extra blank BD cases. Has anyone seen a BD cover for "Remember That Night" that I could put in one of my blank cases and eliminate the big ugly cardboard case currently sticking out of my BD collection?

Also, anybody else have weirdo BD cases for other movies that refuse to fit in with your others like this?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:46 AM

Just get a replacement Blu-ray case and print off a pseudo-cover for it.

Not too big of a deal, if you ask me, and not too difficult to make all better
Old 03-18-2008, 02:02 AM

Now that there is 1 HD format, I expect to see more non-conventional packaging. Warner has already started with next weeks book-style casing for Bonnie & Clyde, with another 19 coming soon.

If you think that these slight differences are distracting you should try figuring out how to display the original SD DVD Battlestar Galactica (original series from 1978) cylon mask package on the shelf.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post

My God...I didn't know...my problems are nothing next to that.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:30 AM

It's great when you pay a fortune for an import BD from Japan, only to find it comes in a DVD style case in a bulky card box for no reason whatsoever.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
It's great when you pay a fortune for an import BD from Japan, only to find it comes in a DVD style case in a bulky card box for no reason whatsoever.
Lemme guess... Bandai Visual right? Patlabor or something?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 AM

I hate it too when cases aren't at least the same hight as the rest of the bunch. That's why I have a special "Limited Edition" shelve where all my asian special editions and other collectors packed discs are.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZayTonday View Post
Lemme guess... Bandai Visual right? Patlabor or something?
Yeah. Patalabor, Ghost in the Shell, Wings of Honeamise, Jin-Roh..and so on. everything they've done has come in terrible packaging. At least if they wanted to do something bulky they could have included huge art books, as was done with the previous DVD special editions.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:14 PM

So, after work today I went to Staples and picked up some Premium HP Photo Paper (soft gloss.) After I got home, I found a good scan of the DVD sleeve and trimmed it down to BD sleeve dimensions, and printed it out on this new paper. Looks pretty good!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 PM

I want more non-conformist BD cases! I want digipacks and everything!!