All Indications Point To "Butch Cassidy" Blu-Ray Disaster!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 PM

Default All Indications Point To "Butch Cassidy" Blu-Ray Disaster!!

Well I have now read my new issue of HD Review magazine published in the UK and they are extremely critical of this release. (It has already come out in the UK) It looks like Fox's mpeg 2 crap has finally caught up with them on this release. The reviewer basically says that this release is very poor pqwise. It only gets a 2 star rating, and is panned across the board as being only marginally better than the sd dvd release. Considering how wonderful Warner did with the 1967 "Bonnie and Clyde", whoever was in charge of this at Fox should maybe be fired imo. Other threads on AVSforum back up the magazine's report that this release is an extreme dissapointment, and considering its place in film history, it means that once again Fox has apparently proven that it has absolutely NO CLUE how to treat a classic catalog release correctly.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:59 PM

That is unfortunate as I really was looking forward to that movie.

However, the fact that it's MPEG-2 doesn't mean it will automatically look bad. Look at Fox's release of Kingdom of Heaven.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 PM

yeah I'm not necessarily saying that the mpeg 2 is the only reason, but somehow I feel that maybe the fact that this is a much older film + the mpeg 2 has made more of a difference. maybe.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:05 PM

I saw another review...

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...id_blu-ray.htm

Quote:
Is it possible that this film is almost 40 years old? The image moves ahead of the SD versions released (two are compared HERE). Some of this film is purposely shot with a sepia tone mimicking the era and atmosphere. This doesn't translate well to 1080P as it tends to look very grainy and noisy especially in shadow sequences. Detail seems marginally improved but the greatest advancement towards theatrical appearance is in depth of color. Most of the last half of the film looks very strong - especially daylight scenes. Overall, I suspect this transfer is as good as this film will ever look in a hard disc format. It's not perfect but I was still impressed with the clarity and brilliance of the colors.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
(It has already come out in the UK)
According to play.com its not out until 25/12/08.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/3...searchsource=1
Old 03-17-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog5000 View Post
According to play.com its not out until 25/12/08.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/3...searchsource=1
The review I posted is based on the Japan version of the Blu-ray which says was released in January.

May 13, 2008 in the North American release date:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/611/...ndancekid.html
Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM

DVD Beaver is a well-respected site. Perhaps their expectations were more realistic than the others'? But I'm also sure it's a case where Warner would have done a better job. So maybe a little of both.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:08 PM

Since when does one review count as "all indications"? This is a very misleading title, so much so that I've asked the mods to change it. It doesn't help that you refer to AVS, where a grand total of 3 people have reviewed it, and 2 of them mention the fact that the PQ is more something from the film itself than the disc.

As for me, I'll trust the DVD Beaver review, where it's done by people who have a known and unbiased respect for the movies and how they are portrayed. I have no idea how reputable "HD Review" magazine is, and judging by the documented anti-Blu-ray bias of several supposed "enthusiast" magazines, I'd take their opinion with a huge grain of salt.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:42 PM

C'mon Zombie, you don't need to get that bent out of shape.
I mean honestly the idea that the mods might need to change my headline. Was that a serious comment?
I think perhaps you may be taking things a little too seriously.
I mean gimme a break. This isn't CNN here, ok bra!
I really hope it does look as good as it can, and I respect DVDbeaver a hell of a lot, so I'm very happy to see their review.
In fact, DVDbeaver is actually my favorite sd dvd site on the whole web.
btw: the title was obviously received by the "HD Review" magazine for review, and as somebody also stated, this title has been out in Japan for a while now. I have still not read any info that states unequivocally that the Japanese bd is exactly the same, but most likely it is.
I'm sure HDD will weigh in soon enough with their comments regarding this release.

Last edited by Arkadin; 03-17-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
It looks like Fox's mpeg 2 crap has finally caught up with them on this release. The reviewer basically says that this release is very poor pqwise. It only gets a 2 star rating, and is panned across the board as being only marginally better than the sd dvd release.
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
However, the fact that it's MPEG-2 doesn't mean it will automatically look bad. Look at Fox's release of Kingdom of Heaven.
Quote:
yeah I'm not necessarily saying that the mpeg 2 is the only reason, but somehow I feel that maybe the fact that this is a much older film + the mpeg 2 has made more of a difference. maybe.
Um, from the DVDbeaver review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDBeaver
Video codec: MPEG-4 AVC
Video resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DUB: Japanese: DTS, Commentaries are in English 2.0
Haven't seen the disc myself yet, but I'll reserve judgement for the moment. For the record, Butch Cassidy didn't look impressive on DVD either so my expectations are not high.