'War, Inc.' -- pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM
PeterB

Default 'War, Inc.' -- pre-release buzz

First Look Studios is going Blu-exclusive with the July 1 debut of 'War, Inc.'

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/warinc.html

There's no specs yet for the John Cusack anti-war comedy (which is going to direct-to-video, but there should be soon.

MSRP is $29.99.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Okay, Okay.
Just watched the tailer...

Looked pretty decent.. Solid rental.
But they go...
John Cusack
Joan Cusack
Ben Kingsley
then...Hilary Duff.

That just made about half of america think this is a stupid movie.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Theatrical?

Was this even released in the theaters?

I was waiting for this one, a "sequel" to Gross Point Blank.

j
Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 PM

Man...... I forgot all about this movie. Saw a trailer ages ago online and thought it looked pretty funny. Not actually a sequal to Grosse Point Blank but you could see the similarity.

Very glad to see this is coming to Blu-ray.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 PM

Trailer link:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=878&item=0

I'm excited about this, John Cusack, Joan Cusack, Ben Kingsley, and the lovely Marissa Tomei (damn, she was hot in 'Rescue Me')...'Grosse Pointe Blank 2' in my mind.

A couple things that maybe missed is, Minnie Driver, Jeremy Piven, and an 80's soundtrack, lol. But, I'll take Marissa Tomei, and Ben Kingsley as substitutes in a hot minute.

Hope it comes out good.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:17 PM

I've never even heard of this movie but it sounds like a blind buy to me.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 PM

That's the beauty of low bugdet, or non blockbuster films.

There's some little diamonds out in the rough out there.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM

Ok, "going Blu-exclusive" has absolutely no meaning these days. HD-DVD has been abandoned by its own mother, aka Toshiba, and most, if not all, major studios have turned away from it in favor of Blu-ray. Therefore, HD-DVD is dead, Blu-ray won, and as a result saying "Blu-ray exclusive" has no meaning anymore. There, I said it. Now give me my cookie.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 PM

I've seen this movie!!

I got to go see a screener of it when it was still called "Brand Hauser". (Both titles make more sense when you've seen the movie*.) It was actually really funny, but I warn all the blind buyers out there... it's corny/off the wall funny with a political satire feel. It's smart in some places and very "Blues Brothers" corny in others.

The end was a little too "this is the message we are trying to shove down your throat" but all of us focus group members pointed out that this one scene should get WAAAY shortened because it kind of went away from funny and focused too much on message. If that scene is shorter, than I fully recommend this movie.

Either way, I'm buying this when it hits shelves.

P.S. -- It's very much a non-official sequel to Gross Point Blank. None of the characters are the same, none of the back story that Gross Point Blank would be is mentioned, but it has that feel (and even has Dan Akroyd!) so I consider it a "View Askew" style sequel where the actors all play different characters but you know it has to be in the same universe or somehow related.

*Slight spoiler regarding the titles:
Spoiler
The name "Brand Hauser" came from the fact that the John Cusack character is named Hauser and as a hitman he is a "Brand" but it doens't end there. They also play on the fact that the war is being sold to the highest bidder a la Haliburton style. There is another twist in there that you may know if you've read the IMDb character list that adds to the Brand Hauser idea. The new name, "War, Inc." is a little better at showing the war being sold to the highest bidder part, which I guess is really what this movie is about, but that part has nothing to do with the main characters and their stories.

I actually liked the first name better because even though it specifically mentions Hauser, it works on the level of showing how all of the characters are sold to the highest bidder. Hauser for his hits, the war to the corporations, and the Hilary Duff character to the pubic (she plays a pop star).

Last edited by LuciferEternal; 03-18-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
First Look Studios is going Blu-exclusive with the July 1 debut of 'War, Inc.'

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/warinc.html

There's no specs yet for the John Cusack anti-war comedy (which is going to direct-to-video, but there should be soon.

MSRP is $29.99.
I've been waiting for this movie to come out for a long time now. Give the subject matter (a black comedy about the Iraq war), I'm not surprised they couldn't find a theatrical distributor. I'll certainly be buying this one when it comes out, I just hope the Blu-ray is worth the extra money.