Comparison: ID4 Blu-ray to DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Comparison: ID4 Blu-ray to DVD

Well, I was happy to get my ID4 BD last week. And I watched it. And, curiously, I wasn't stunned by the PQ. Usually, Fox titles blow me away with their PQ. Don't get me wrong; it looked good...very good. But I just didn't get that "blown away" feeling. And I wondered; was I getting too used to Blu-ray?

So I decided to do a comparison. When the movie was over (a very good movie, IMO, even if it is a "mindless, summer popcorn flick" ), I picked up my DVD copy. Though I didn't watch the entire movie, even though it's the director's cut, I chose certain scenes to watch. I looked at the scene where David and his dad were playing chess in the park. And I was actually impressed. It appeared to me, once again IMO, that the DVD quality was near the Blu-ray quality. Yes, I could tell the difference, but it was a very slight difference.

Next, I watched the scene right after the first aerial battle, when the alien ship was chasing Will Smith's fighter through the canyon. That scene was much more grainy. I then flipped through several other scenes and decided that the action scenes were really the only ones worth transferring to Blu-ray. The Blu-ray version had a steady quality throughout the movie, but the DVD version seemed to deteriorate during the fast, action-packed sequences.

And I wondered: Did Fox skimp on the BD transfer, or was the DVD transfer exceptional?

Or, since I watched both on my PS3, was the PS3 upscaling just that good? (I doubt it, since I watch all my BD/DVD comparisons on it, and usually there's a stark difference.)

And, is it just me?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:00 PM

i believe i am getting use to hd, as i am not hugely impress like i was before, but watching some of no country for old men on dvd, then watching the dvd WOW, what a difference
Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 PM

I can't say much for the difference between ID4 on Blu-Ray compared to DVD as I actually never bought it on DVD. I went from my VHS copy to Blu-Ray. You don't need me to tell you what a HUGE difference that makes!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Blu-ray is just films that have been increased in quality
and not Realy HD

on difference is blu-ray has more space then HD
but funny side Blu-ray didn't have most features HD did from the start....
Old 03-17-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
and not Realy HD

what, blu-ray is full HD, it is not upconverted
Old 03-17-2008, 03:06 PM

I have the Fox 5 star "Independence Day" and when I find the bd I will offer my opinion. I'm planning on doing some comparisons myself.
I believe--if I'm not mistaken--that ID4 is MPEG 2--and I do really believe it could have been better. It is not that much older than "The Rock", and that release looks very good to me. I will be interested to see what I think.

bash--film already has much more resolution than hd, so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluAngel View Post
Well, I was happy to get my ID4 BD last week. And I watched it. And, curiously, I wasn't stunned by the PQ. Usually, Fox titles blow me away with their PQ. Don't get me wrong; it looked good...very good. But I just didn't get that "blown away" feeling. And I wondered; was I getting too used to Blu-ray?

So I decided to do a comparison. When the movie was over (a very good movie, IMO, even if it is a "mindless, summer popcorn flick" ), I picked up my DVD copy. Though I didn't watch the entire movie, even though it's the director's cut, I chose certain scenes to watch. I looked at the scene where David and his dad were playing chess in the park. And I was actually impressed. It appeared to me, once again IMO, that the DVD quality was near the Blu-ray quality. Yes, I could tell the difference, but it was a very slight difference.

Next, I watched the scene right after the first aerial battle, when the alien ship was chasing Will Smith's fighter through the canyon. That scene was much more grainy. I then flipped through several other scenes and decided that the action scenes were really the only ones worth transferring to Blu-ray. The Blu-ray version had a steady quality throughout the movie, but the DVD version seemed to deteriorate during the fast, action-packed sequences.

And I wondered: Did Fox skimp on the BD transfer, or was the DVD transfer exceptional?

Or, since I watched both on my PS3, was the PS3 upscaling just that good? (I doubt it, since I watch all my BD/DVD comparisons on it, and usually there's a stark difference.)

And, is it just me?
No, it is not just you. I have a pretty nice setup and I too was let down, way down in fact. Why? The movie was not a complete digital restoration, that's why. And I might add, this is going to be a problem for HDM in general on some top titles that they don't go back and redo the special effects which in this title, made up a HUGE part of the film.

I was too fucking surprised that HDD gave this title so much slack leading me to such a disappointment overall.

But again, studios need to STEP UP to the plate on high brow titles and put the money into them and bring the special effects (CGI) into the year 2008 for god sake. Now wonder FOX sat on this title. They did a totally half assed job.

Look at Warners Bonnie and Clyde Blu Ray - Dolby 1.0!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
and not Realy HD

this guy just clearly misunderstood the OP. he's confusing HD for HD-DVD.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoela View Post
Look at Warners Bonnie and Clyde Blu Ray - Dolby 1.0!!!!
I guess it'd be crazy amounts of work to try to redo the sound for these films. They did the same with Dog Day Afternoon, but let me tell you, I still gasped when I saw that film. It looked fantastic IMO.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 PM

Being the ultimate ID4 fan freak, I compared the LA battle scene on VHS, the DVD extended edition, and the Blu-ray.

Wow. I can't even begin to relate how much better the Blu-ray was. VHS, first of all, is sucky because it's fullscreen. Might be better to call it halfscreen...

DVD offered a slight improvement on quality, but Blu-ray..... wow.

On VHS and DVD, the alien ships are just big black blobs with some bumps... on Blu-ray, you actually notice all the crevices and designs and whatnot.

When the missiles hit the shield and dissipate, the effect looked a total lot better on Blu-ray.