'Bonnie & Clyde' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 AM

Default 'Bonnie & Clyde' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'Bonnie & Clyde' has been posted. He says it's a landmark film and a must-see for any serious student of American cinema. This Blu-ray release easily does the film justice, with a terrific remaster and a worthwhile package of retrospective extras. 'Bonnie & Clyde' is a must addition to your Blu-ray library.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1269...eandclyde.html
Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 AM

Can't wait to read the review in full when the link is working. I have had this one pre-ordered for quite some time. I love the movie.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Former Member

wonderful review of the movie, real great job!

my biggest issue is not with the review itself, but what it confirms: the fragility/cheapness of the packaging. the PQ rating makes me want this, the packaging makes me not. the audio, hey, not a biggy to me!

Last edited by project-blu; 03-17-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:35 AM

Screw that noise.

Warner can dig up the cash, and should have a new surround track produced off of the mono source. I've seen it done.

I'll rent this.

-cheez avenger
Old 03-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

I really really hate the book idea. Definitely passing.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:47 AM

I'm digging the "book" packaging. I remember when Schindler's List came out on DVD in a "book" package. It was a welcome change to the standard, cheap plastic cases.

I preordered this a while ago and am looking foward to seeing in high def when it arrives.

I do wish the would have expanded the sound to 5.1 though.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Balls View Post
I'm digging the "book" packaging. I remember when Schindler's List came out on DVD in a "book" package. It was a welcome change to the standard, cheap plastic cases.

I preordered this a while ago and am looking foward to seeing in high def when it arrives.

I do wish the would have expanded the sound to 5.1 though.
i have schindlers list, but w/ the academy sleeve. it helps hold the damn thing closed, otherwise, you need something on each side of it. it's called clamps or a sleeve, it fixes all problems.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 AM

I've never seen this before. But it's easily going to be a blind buy for me. Sounds like a great disc.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:33 AM

I actually like mono tracks from these old movies. And by "mono," I mean mono, not a 2.0 track that is two mirrored channels (which is what you find most of the time). When they remix old soundtracks, 90% of the sound gets dumped into the center channel and it doesn't sound great anyway, so the 5.1 mix is lame. I much prefer to use the "Mono movie" surround mode on my receiver and recreate the 1960s sound experience. Unfortunately, most of the time what they call "mono" is 2.0, and the mono surround mode doesn't work well on a 2.0 track, regardless of whether both channels are identical.

I don't mind if they put a 5.1 mix on the disc, but I really like to have the old mono (1.0!) track on there as well for the above purpose.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Screw that noise.

Warner can dig up the cash, and should have a new surround track produced off of the mono source. I've seen it done.

I'll rent this.

-cheez avenger
What part of the following line confuses you? You cannot produce a quality stereo or surround track from a mono one. Cannot be done.

Quote:
Due to the unavailability of the original source elements for 'Bonnie & Clyde,' Warner has not produced a new surround remaster for the film.