Lookout for STOLEN Used Blu-Ray discs. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Lookout for STOLEN Used Blu-Ray discs.

This is a plea from a current Blockbuster employee...

If you see a Blu-Ray in a Blockbuster style case used at a local trading store, please inform the manager of the following:

Blockbuster does not sell Blu-Rays (in Blockbuster cases) AT ALL.

If sold previously viewed, they are to be put back in their original casing. In fact, most Blockbuster stores around the country are having Blu-Rays stolen at MASSIVE quantities. Our store has had over 35 discs stolen since December. If you see any of these stolen discs, please notify the manager at the Gamestop/MovieStop that the discs are DEFINATELY stolen property if they are contained in a Blockbuster style-case.

(The only exception to this is if the Blu-Rays are sold off onto someone's account after 30 days, but if more than one or two discs show up at one time, you can safely say they are stolen property.)

In fact the main reason that Blockbuster does not stock more copies of Blu-Rays and a wider selection of titles in their stores is this massive theft problem alone. Perhaps if everyone helps keep their eye out, you could help Blu-Ray find it's way into the hands of new adopters!

(I am well aware that most people hate Blockbuster here, and with good reason, but I still think that Blockbuster (like it or not) will be a helpful partner in getting Blu-Ray into the home of the average consumer.)
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Doesn't blockbuster require you to register a credit card with your account so that if you do steal they charge your card? Whats the problem then?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Ill keep my eye out. How do people steal BDs from in store cases?
Cause they have the info on the computer,, they just charge the credit card like they do games..
I thought that most of the problem was with online.
Those discs are all over ebay,, and you just say you lost them or they never recieved it and you dont have to pay for anything!
Old 03-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeHd View Post
Doesn't blockbuster require you to register a credit card with your account so that if you do steal they charge your card? Whats the problem then?
Yes, they do. I don't see how theft can be running rampant with that system.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:39 PM

I'm sure some how people are figuring a way to take the movie from the store without triggering the alarm. They may even have the mechanism to remove the outer casing!
Old 03-15-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post
I'm sure some how people are figuring a way to take the movie from the store without triggering the alarm. They may even have the mechanism to remove the outer casing!
I don't know those cases are shut tighter than a clam's @ss
You would really need to do some noticeable damage to open one which I would think would make someone working at the store a bit curious to why you were smashing the case on the floor.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:47 PM

A long time ago I knew some crazy kids in high school who stole a couple Blockbuster cards and went on a renting rampage at like 5 stores and never returned them.

Same thing with Hollywood Video.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeHd View Post
I don't know those cases are shut tighter than a clam's @ss
You would really need to do some noticeable damage to open one which I would think would make someone working at the store a bit curious to why you were smashing the case on the floor.
yea last year one of my local bb had a problem, and this store was supersmall, and everytime i went in, they had a bigger and bigger stack of broken up cases, from someone coming in and stealing movies, i really couldnt understand how, lol in a store so tiny can you not hear someone ripping apart a case
Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM

Aren't the rental discs kept behind the counter? I have no idea how so many can get stolen. Care to elaborate?
Old 03-15-2008, 02:43 PM

I don't see how this is possible... they have your card information so they can charge you if you don't return them.