'Ice Age' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Default 'Ice Age' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'Ice Age' has been posted. He says it's a wonderful family film that reels in kids and adults. As a high definition release, this Blu-ray edition boasts a striking video transfer and an aggressive DTS HD Master Lossless Audio track. The exclusion of extras from many previous editions makes him nervous that a double dip is on the way. Still, well worth a look.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/565/iceage.html
Old 03-14-2008, 12:16 AM

great! can't wait to see this on my new set!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

ugggh another PQ score I disagree with, this is maybe a 4/5 at Best, I would say 3.5 especially when compared to Ice Age 2 and the Disney/Pixar titles. Not a fault of the transfer but of the source. So it looks good for what it is, but there's so much better available.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-News.com View Post
ugggh another PQ score I disagree with, this is maybe a 4/5 at Best, I would say 3.5 especially when compared to Ice Age 2 and the Disney/Pixar titles. Not a fault of the transfer but of the source. So it looks good for what it is, but there's so much better available.
really? damn I was thinking about picking this up tomorrow
Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 AM

so you've been dissuaded by someone saying it's a 4 of 5 picture quality? 3.5 if he nitpicks basically?

It's a great movie, for kids, and a really good and attention keeping film for adults. The dvd of this cant hold a candle to the blu ray upgrade... so unless you have the D-VHS of this, the upgrade is awesome. Now at the fox prices, i'll be waiting to buy, but have seen it and think it looks fantastic...
Old 03-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Contributor

Quote:
I would agree with you in regards to the quality of the source animation itself -- fur isn't dynamic, appendage joints have semi-visible seams, and textures are simplistic compared to what we've seen in recent years as advancements in CG animation have exploded onto the scene. However, taken from a technical standpoint, the transfer is most definitely a direct-from-the-source beauty that has the clarity, palette strength, and fine details to make the PQ quite amazing (IMO of course).

Still, I understand your misgivings with the result. Thanks as always for posting and letting us know your thoughts!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
I would agree with you in regards to the quality of the source animation itself -- fur isn't dynamic, appendage joints have semi-visible seams, and textures are simplistic compared to what we've seen in recent years as advancements in CG animation have exploded onto the scene. However, taken from a technical standpoint, the transfer is most definitely a direct-from-the-source beauty that has the clarity, palette strength, and fine details to make the PQ quite amazing (IMO of course).

Still, I understand your misgivings with the result. Thanks as always for posting and letting us know your thoughts!
May I ask if you saw a problem with Manny's fur taking on a purple hue in certain areas in some scenes?

I thought that was overly distracting, and thought it was just my television, but apparently Blu-News.com also had a similar experience.

Did that happen in your copy?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:46 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
May I ask if you saw a problem with Manny's fur taking on a purple hue in certain areas in some scenes?

I thought that was overly distracting, and thought it was just my television, but apparently Blu-News.com also had a similar experience.

Did that happen in your copy?
I can see the mild purple tones some people are talking about, but keep this in mind -- the animators have added a light blue tint to many surfaces in the film to simulate light bouncing off of the snow and ice. Since Manny's fur is redish/orange, the resultant blue-tinted ambient light causes his fur to have a slight purplish tone at times. However, I didn't find it distracting and my eye naturally assumed the coloring fell in line with the light source elements established throughout the entire film.

Anyone else notice/miss/care/ignore/mind/enjoy the occasional purple tones on Manny's fur?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
not the best news to hear
Old 03-14-2008, 08:39 AM

I think I'll wait for the "special edition" that will surely follow in the not to distant future.