Limited Fox In-Store Availability? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Limited Fox In-Store Availability?

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. When Man On Fire came out January 8th, I couldn't find it in retail stores anywhere, in fact, I still haven't seen it. Also missing from store shelves are this week's I Robot and ID4.

There are pleanty of places that have it online, I know, but I was wondering why titles in-demand titles can't be found for customers who prefer not to order online? Or is this an issue I'm on my own for?

I certainly hope this isn't an issue when Master and Commander comes out.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM

I just checked bestbuy.com and it's showing I, Robot is available in-store at 75% of Baltimore stores and Man On Fire is at 50%... This is odd because I've never seen a new release at BB that wasn't stocked out the ass...
Old 03-13-2008, 01:08 PM

My local Best Buy hardly stocks any FOX titles. It didn't have ID4 or I, Robot this past week [got them @ Target of all places]. They still do not have Man on Fire. I talked to a friend of mine in the TV department and he looked up the availability of them. Low and behold: they aren't getting them in. He doesn't know why, but said its store by store selection.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak View Post
My local Best Buy hardly stocks any FOX titles. It didn't have ID4 or I, Robot this past week [got them @ Target of all places]. They still do not have Man on Fire. I talked to a friend of mine in the TV department and he looked up the availability of them. Low and behold: they aren't getting them in. He doesn't know why, but said its store by store selection.
They will special order if you want. Either on-line with
in-store delivery or through the store itself. There isn't a shortage.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 PM

My guess is that most of the Fox catalog titles don't sell so well at $34.99. (Who'da thunk? ) Because of that, they only get in the ones that are most likely to be big sellers despite the price, which leaves the less popular titles out in the cold. New releases are likely to sell ok at $35, but 10 year old catalog movies? Harder sell, especially for titles that didn't exactly light it up on DVD.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 PM

I still don't think these stores consider these truly "new releases". In fact, I don't believe either I Robot or ID4 were in the weekly flyer.

My local Best Buy did get these -but they had sold out of all of their ID4s by 2PM on Tuesday, and only had 2 I Robot's left. I think it's going to be hard for stores to be able to calculate demand on titles like this.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 PM

I have not been able to get I, Robot for the life of me. Even this super cheap record store in the Boston area (newbury comics) is not stocking it! total bummer.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:35 PM

I couldn't find ID4 on release day. Even as a catalog release, that should be one of the ones you would see pretty well stocked. I mean, I don't expect to be hit over the head with "Wall Street" on BD the day it streets, but "ID4" I would expect to at least be able to find at Best Buy on release day.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:08 PM

As pointed out, these things simply can't be selling that well at the Fox price points. Its probably hard enough to get people to cough up $30 at the store for popular new releases like No Country, never mind $35 for 12 year old movies.

Speaking for myself, I'd like to have I, Robot and Independence Day... but I can't even bring myself to cough up the $50 it would cost me to buy these from Amazon. I'll pick 'em up on a BOGO later or wait for Fox to lower the MSRPs. I've seen both movies several times so I can live without them for a few more months... and they're certainly not going to get more expensive.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 PM

I bought them both on Amazon for $50, so I guess I was one of the guys that liked them enough to cough up the cash.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with paying $25 for a bd at this early in the game. DVD was there at one point also. And you're right, bogo time will be SWEET now that some stronger catalogues are coming out.