What kind of gun is Chigurh using? - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:53 PM

Default What kind of gun is Chigurh using?

I understand that the compressed air thing he carries around shoots a little spike out 3-4 inches for the kill, but what about his other gun? I assume it's some kind of rifle with a makeshift silencer, but does anyone know specifically?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM

I think it's a huge shotgun with a silencer.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyers Eve View Post
I think it's a huge shotgun with a silencer.
Yeah, see a shotgun was my first instinct, because I seem to remember one of the shots leaving a scatter pattern early on, but I wondered if a shotgun could be used with such a silencer and whether or not it would leave such tiny, precise holes in a windshield. I know nothing about guns, I was hoping someone here could shed some light.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 PM

Early on we witnessed the splatter, which was from his shotgun. I too thought he had the shotgun armed during the shootout with the Motel that lead to the streets. However, when Ross shoots at him with his own shotgun, he walks over to the wounded Chigurh and picks up what looks like a pistol off the ground where he was laying that also had a silencer on it. My friend said it was a sub-machine gun with a silencer but I don't remember clearly. My conclusion: He had multiple firearms with his shotgun being the primary.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 PM

Could possibly be a mix of ammunition.....

Birdshot = a shotshell full of BB sized pellets
Buckshot = 7, 8 or 9 .32 cal. sized pellets
Slugs = one large chunk of lead

One good thing about shotguns is the variety of ammunition that can be used depending on your intended purpose.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker210 View Post
Could possibly be a mix of ammunition.....

Birdshot = a shotshell full of BB sized pellets
Buckshot = 7, 8 or 9 .32 cal. sized pellets
Slugs = one large chunk of lead

One good thing about shotguns is the variety of ammunition that can be used depending on your intended purpose.
Okay, that makes sense. So do you think it was a shotgun tearing that truck (and the drivers throat) to shreds during that scene?

By the way, what an awesome, coldblooded motherfucker of a scene. One of my favorite Chigurh scenes, next to the convenience store "flip a coin" bit.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:12 PM

Could this have gone in the existing NCFOM discussion thread or the review thread? I don't think we need so many movie-related discussions about a single film in such a broad forum as this.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
Could this have gone in the existing NCFOM discussion thread or the review thread? I don't think we need so many movie-related discussions about a single film in such a broad forum as this.
Do you really care? Does it expend more energy to skip past my thread, or open it up, dig around in it, and reply to it with something that has nothing to do with the question being asked? Does your off-topic inquiry help the thread die or keep it alive? Those are the questions you should be asking.

I'm not discussing the review (spot on, if you're curious), and I don't want to debate the ending. This thread is simply asking a question about the guns, and once it is answered the thread will surely die. I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over what people choose to discuss in a forum. It's not like the frontpage is loaded with NCFOM discussions, it was very evenly spread out amongst all sorts of things last I checked.

Forum police somewhere else, if you please.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Sorry, just seems like a pretty random thread. People who haven't seen NCFOM will have no idea what this means since you mention it nowhere in the thread title or the OP and some would possibly walk into a spoiler as well. Now proceed with your flying off the handle at a perfectly valid question.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Now proceed with your flying off the handle at a perfectly valid question.
I agree with XL83. Your question was kind of.... pointless.

As for my take, yeah, it's some kind of silenced shotgun, but I've never heard of a silencer for a shotgun before. Chigurh is one crazy son of a gun, that's for sure. Remember the first hotel scene with the Mexican dealers?

Closed Thread