No Country~discussion Thread **SPOILER ALERT** - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Default No Country~discussion Thread **SPOILER ALERT**

so many people are talking about the ending and how it sucked! what's your take on it? what do you think it meant? also what happened to the money who got it?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarRoom Hero View Post
so many people are talking about the ending and how it sucked! what's your take on it? what do you think it meant? also what happened to the money who got it?
The ending was absolutely amazing and perfect. So many people get pissed when movies end and they still have questions.... maybe they're just too thick to do the math to come to their own conclusions. Anyways, the ending... who has the money....

Spoiler
First of all, the Jones character, Ed Tom, is struggling with his own mortality in the face of the world around him a world he does not understand and ignores the old and retired... because they're retired. He dreams of his late father going ahead of him and sees his impending death and the leaving behind of this troubled world.

Secondly, he mentions his father carrying a torch and making a fire in the middle of the cold and the blackness. It show that the Jones character feels that the world is hopeless with its course of violence, and that it will get worse. There is sadness in that final statement - Jones dreamt that someone would make a fire in all of that darkness ... then he wakes up. Such hope is only reserved for dreamers, not realists.

Even his wife ignores his requests to help her do her job with the horses. When he offers to do chores around the house so she didn't have to, she told him that wasn't a good idea. He has become worthless in his retirement.

The money was taken by Anton... Sheriff Ed Tom goes into the room where Anton is hiding behind the door. After coming out of the bathroom, he sees the forced air register vent popped open with a dime laying there with tracks cut into the dust like the ones left in the first motel. Only Anton was ever aware of the location of the money from the original motel where Llewelyn had hid it, and the use of a dime in both situations keys you to this. Later after the car accident, Anton pays the boy $100 for his shirt.

Therein lies the problem. When audiences have to stop and think, as a collective it hurts them. Only people that go into the movies, that are deep like this, actively trying to solve a puzzle came out satisfied. One of the best movies ever is still The Usual Suspects.... and if you watch that movie actively trying to find out who Kaiser Soze is, it's much more satisfying when it ends.

Ultimately, the movie ends within its very title. The young aren't wise enough to realize the injustices in the country, and when you're old enough to realize the injustices, you're a victim of them at the same time.... there is No Country For Old Men.....
Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 AM

If by the ending you mean the sheriffs description of his dream I would say that his father riding ahead is a symbol of the moment he decided not to pursue those dark and scary new things he talks about in the voice over at the beginning. By not doing so he delays the inevitable meeting with his father in the after life. He's chosen to not be the hero. Let's face it, the atrocities that were occurring as a result of drug trafficking along the South Western border during the 1980's (movie takes place) made Southern California and West Texas (movie takes place) no country for old men.

As for the money, Anton took it to help sony make the sweetest PQ transfer ever. It's like watching Planet Earth with blood. I love this disc. Special features are a little weak but hey it's a Coen's movie.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

Default I did'nt like it

I thought the movie was going great..then bam..Josh Brolin is dead..and you don't see what happened...it's easy to assume the wife is departed also,..but that dream thing with Tommy Lee ranks up there with the Dream in Blade Runner..sure it means something..but to me it meant a crappy ending to an otherwise terrific movie..a very simplistic story did not deserve such a heavy you figure it out for yourself ending

my opinion..his dreams are nightmares that haunt him for retiring and taking the coward's way out, instead of confronting the bad guys, the way his father would.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM

The ending was indeed perfect........haunting and understated,just like the novel.
This movie is not for the popcorn , Transformers and Adam Sandler crowd.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:46 AM

I thought it was prefectly fine, nothing wrong with not having a huge shootout or a one on one with the "good" guy and the "bad" guy, hell I even thought the sherriff was going to just walk away from the crime scene and call it a day just to not get involved. My only problem was understanding what the heck Tommy's character was saying half the time and that I felt maybe he should have had a little more screentime but all in all it was really well done. Also to be honest if you pay attention to the movie then you know who got the money.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
The ending was indeed perfect........haunting and understated,just like the novel.
This movie is not for the popcorn , Transformers and Adam Sandler crowd.
Definitely, 10,000 B.C. people should stay away from this movie.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrando View Post
The ending was absolutely amazing and perfect. So many people get pissed when movies end and they still have questions.... maybe they're just too thick to do the math to come to their own conclusions. Anyways, the ending... who has the money....

Therein lies the problem. When audiences have to stop and think, as a collective it hurts them. Only people that go into the movies, that are deep like this, actively trying to solve a puzzle came out satisfied. One of the best movies ever is still The Usual Suspects.... and if you watch that movie actively trying to find out who Kaiser Soze is, it's much more satisfying when it ends.

Ultimately, the movie ends within its very title. The young aren't wise enough to realize the injustices in the country, and when you're old enough to realize the injustices, you're a victim of them at the same time.... there is No Country For Old Men.....
I couldn't have said it better myself. Watched this last night and I couldn't get to sleep for hours as I lied in bed thinking about Anton, Sheriff Bell, and all the implications of their actions and fate itself. Probably one of the best movies I have ever seen. I absolutely loved how there was hardly any score. Each scene was so perfectly crafted...just truly riveting. I just don't know what to say. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking and writing about it. Time to go watch it again...
Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Definitely, 10,000 B.C. people should stay away from this movie.
well I dont think people in 10,000 B.C had movies ..............ok that was bunk! couldnt help myself.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
..it's easy to assume the wife is departed also.
Spoiler
It's ambiguous in the film, but if I remember correctly, in the book Anton shot & killed her.