Wes Anderson on Blu-Ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 AM

Default Wes Anderson on Blu-Ray?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any plans to release Wes Andersons movies on Blu-Ray?

Life Aquatic, Royal Tennebaums, Dharjeeling Express, etc.

Thanks,
Mark Morb
Old 03-10-2008, 01:17 PM

i've been wondering this too.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 PM

When people stop buying garbage like Transporter 2 just because it's in high-def.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Former Member

I wish the new one, Djarling Limited (i know i spelled that wrong), came out on Blu day and date, but it didn't even get Criterion treatment. His last 2 films both got Criterion ONLY. Since it didn't even get that much, then chances are it will be some time before we see it on HDM.

Life Aquatic and Rushmore, I'd love to have on Blu (at catalog pricing). Both are wonderful wonderful films. Bottle Rocket sucks hard, and Tenenbaums is neat, but I had a hard time getting through it
Old 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM

I what them soon. Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic are two of my factorite movies and I haven't bought Darjeeling because I just can't bring myself to spend $20 on a DVD that's not season of TV.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
I wish the new one, Djarling Limited (i know i spelled that wrong), came out on Blu day and date, but it didn't even get Criterion treatment. His last 2 films both got Criterion ONLY. Since it didn't even get that much, then chances are it will be some time before we see it on HDM.

Life Aquatic and Rushmore, I'd love to have on Blu (at catalog pricing). Both are wonderful wonderful films. Bottle Rocket sucks hard, and Tenenbaums is neat, but I had a hard time getting through it
Darjeeling Limited was distributed by Fox, which is why it didn't get the Criterion treatment (Disney/Buena Vista worked with Wes to get the Tenenbaums, Rushmore and Life Aquatic all on Criterion). As far as I know, Fox has not worked with Criterion (perhaps they did with Laserdisc but not DVD to my knowledge). We also know Fox screws a lot of things up which is why Darjeeling Limited was not released on BD day and date with the DVD.

My personal favorite of his is still Rushmore, which I would love to see in HD! Perhaps Criterion will strike a deal with Disney/BV again on the Blu-ray format and it will be one of their first BD releases??
Old 03-10-2008, 11:56 PM

I have Rushmore on a non-criterion DVD. It's non-anamorphic but it still looks quite nice.
What's so special about criterion DVDs again besides the huge price point? Are they suppose to be top-of-the-line quality or something?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
I have Rushmore on a non-criterion DVD. It's non-anamorphic but it still looks quite nice.
What's so special about criterion DVDs again besides the huge price point? Are they suppose to be top-of-the-line quality or something?
Better A/V transfers (and sometimes better specs) and Rushmore the Criterion is 2 discs, loaded with special features that wouldn't be found on the standard issue DVD. Also in the liner notes tray, it has a sweet full-color map that Wes Anderson's brother drew. I would think being an HDM buyer, you could appreciate stuff like that... even if you do have to pay premium for it.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHDphantom View Post
Ummmmmm, yeah!

Where you been at?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:45 AM

Hmmm, thanks dmarvin. I think I'll get that Rushmore edition the next time I see it. I like Jason Schwartzman movies; I friggin' LOVED 'I Heart Huckabees'.

I have Anderson's Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic on cri-DVD. The Royal Tenenbaum's looked and sounded pretty good, but I didn't think Life aquatic was anything too special in the regards to A/V.