'Appleseed: Ex Machina' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Attebery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,716
Default 'Appleseed: Ex Machina' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'Appleseed: Ex Machina' has been posted. He was disappointed, saying the movie is brimming with ambitious CG animation, but falls short. The Blu-ray boasts a video transfer that bests the standard DVD, but which suffers from softness, banding, and compression issues. The audio tracks are impressive, but lack the clarity of lossless tracks. This title is inspiring debate online and he suggests you give it a rent and decide for yourself.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1259...exmachina.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Master X's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,285
Default

Damn, 3 stars for PQ. Im sure the HD DVD version will be the same. O well i still want it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 496
Default

I'm skeptical on that video score. Everywhere else I've seen has given it 8+ out of 10. The movie score I don't mind, I liked the first one, so I'm sure this one will be at least as good.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAndonuts View Post
I'm skeptical on that video score. Everywhere else I've seen has given it 8+ out of 10. The movie score I don't mind, I liked the first one, so I'm sure this one will be at least as good.
I understand the skepticism -- I'm well aware of the high scores elsewhere as well. I would just encourage people to compare 'Ex Machina' to other CG Blu-ray titles like 'Ratatouille' and 'TMNT.' I look forward to hearing all of you weigh in on the message boards with the results of your comparisons!

Thanks as always for posting.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 AM
MasterChief3624's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 426
Default

So if I loved (loved loved LOVED) the original, I will enjoy this one just fine?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 AM
ASIA911's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 207
Default

You gotta be kidding me. The video look fantastic. Just because you either don't like or know anything about cel rendering style doesn't mean it isn't good. And you got to be kidding me if you think that POS TMNT is better than this. This is a far superior in design and animated action than that POS TMNT and most other action animation out there.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...40&show=review
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-10-2008, 04:25 AM
Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIA911 View Post
You gotta be kidding me. The video look fantastic. Just because you either don't like or know anything about cel rendering style doesn't mean it isn't good. And you got to be kidding me if you think that POS TMNT is better than this. This is a far superior in design and animated action than that POS TMNT and most other action animation out there.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...40&show=review
I know quite a bit about the animation style and techniques used to create 'Ex Machina' -- the problem here is in the transfer itself, not the original animation. I'm also not comparing the films themselves, just the video quality. 'TMNT,' 'Beowulf,' 'Freedom,' 'SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers,' and, moreso, 'Ratatouille,' have visibly sharper, cleaner images.

Plus, I adored the style and presentation of 'SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers' (which I reviewed and gave very high marks to), so I don't feel I'm unfairly biased against the visuals in 'Ex Machina' at all.

Sorry if I was misleading!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 AM
Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
So if I loved (loved loved LOVED) the original, I will enjoy this one just fine?
I'd say so. The first 'Appleseed' flick just didn't ring my bell, but I had a good bit of fun with this one. I can only imagine someone who loved the original would go insane over 'Ex Machina!'
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 AM
MasterChief3624's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
I know quite a bit about the animation style and techniques used to create 'Ex Machina' -- the problem here is in the transfer itself, not the original animation. I'm also not comparing the films themselves, just the video quality. 'TMNT,' 'Beowulf,' 'Freedom,' 'SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers,' and, moreso, 'Ratatouille,' have visibly sharper, cleaner images.

Sorry if I was misleading!
I'm not saying anything bad about how you're reviewing things here, so please don't take offense to this, but:

Isn't it a little unfair to base your score off of comparisons? Shouldn't you just score it based on this sole transfer and not factor in transfers of other animated films with it?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-10-2008, 04:31 AM
Kotatsu Neko's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,001
Default

I have the disc and had a quick look through it. I'd agree with the HDD review - the transfer is soft and unimpressive.

Also I trust I'm not the only one sick of Warner's stupid disc menu structure, the way they launch straight into the movie leaving you to fiddle around with audio and subtitle options while it's playing in the background. Real smart Warner, such great design there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Appleseed: Ex Machina' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery HD DVD Software General Discussion 16 03-06-2010 08:38 PM
IGN.com - Appleseed: Ex Machina Blu-ray Review miami blu-ray Blu-ray Software General Discussion 6 03-02-2008 01:19 AM
'Appleseed Ex Machina' -- pre-release buzz PeterB Blu-ray Software General Discussion 23 03-01-2008 09:57 PM
"Appleseed: Ex Machina" HD DVD Coming March 11! Arkadin HD DVD Software General Discussion 10 01-06-2008 11:07 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off