'Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-06-2008, 12:08 AM

Default 'Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium' has been posted. He liked the premise of the film, but thinks it didn't find the magic it was aiming for. This Blu-ray release looks and sounds great, but is lacking extras. This is a rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1322...remporium.html
Old 03-06-2008, 06:09 AM

Pass. Just too kooky for me. Sorry. Saw this with the family. Wanted to get out of there about 20 minutes into the movie.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

lol

this was a rental for me from day 1
Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 AM

Not only would I never want to see a movie that looks as dumb as this.. even if I were interested I wouldn't rent it just because this is the umpteenth Fox release with zero supplements. Is it so hard to slap on the same crappy extras from the DVD onto the Blu-ray? I don't own any Fox releases and I can't see supporting them until they start to step up their game. Maybe this is for another thread but I can't help mentioning how annoying it is.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 AM

Default What!?

Was this review written after watching the movie, or just the 2 minute trailer?

1. Jason Bateman's character's name is not Harry, it's Henry, and the main characters decide to call him "mutant" for their own reasons.
2. The reviewer says things don't get going till they introduce Mahoney? of course they don't, since she is in the very beginning, before that its just credits.
3. The reviewer doesn't make one mention of the character "Eric" who has trouble making friends and is quite involved in the stories progression.
4. The reviewer says the entire movie takes place in the store, which in reality is more like 60%. we see Mahoney's place, Eric's house, Henry's office, a hospital, the subway, outside in the city...etc...
5. This movie may have a "Willy Wonka feel" and contain similarities, but only few.

I'm not trying to push this movie on anyone, you may like it or you may not.
It isn't necessarily better than the 2-1/2 stars it earned, its just that there is more to it than only strange toys in a store. This is not a zany CGI fest from beginning to end. There is real human emotion, and in some moments, may pull on a heartstring or two.

Last edited by georgem1979; 03-06-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
Not only would I never want to see a movie that looks as dumb as this.. even if I were interested I wouldn't rent it just because this is the umpteenth Fox release with zero supplements. Is it so hard to slap on the same crappy extras from the DVD onto the Blu-ray? I don't own any Fox releases and I can't see supporting them until they start to step up their game. Maybe this is for another thread but I can't help mentioning how annoying it is.
In full agreement here. I mean, granted the extras are crap anyway, but it's still the principle of the thing. You know for a fact that there's plenty of space and it can't be hard to just port over the extras in SD, and yet they don't bother doing it. Thats pretty annoying in of itself, but the extra slap in the face is that they charge more than the other studios for less!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Actually, I enjoyed it more than I thought, though it's no Willy Wonka or anything. I too was surprised by the lack of extras. Only a few trailers for other films. If Fox is going to charge premium pricing, and since they are using a BD50, at least include what is on the dvd.

We know the picture quality and sound are better on blu-ray, but How are they going to get people to switch from dvd to blu-ray if there's more content on the dvd? Geeez
Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM
PeterB

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgem1979 View Post
Was this review written after watching the movie, or just the 2 minute trailer?

1. Jason Bateman's character's name is not Harry, it's Henry, and the main characters decide to call him "mutant" for their own reasons.
2. The reviewer says things don't get going till they introduce Mahoney? of course they don't, since she is in the very beginning, before that its just credits.
3. The reviewer doesn't make one mention of the character "Eric" who has trouble making friends and is quite involved in the stories progression.
4. The reviewer says the entire movie takes place in the store, which in reality is more like 60%. we see Mahoney's place, Eric's house, Henry's office, a hospital, the subway, outside in the city...etc...
5. This movie may have a "Willy Wonka feel" and contain similarities, but only few.

I'm not trying to push this movie on anyone, you may like it or you may not.
It isn't necessarily better than the 2-1/2 stars it earned, its just that there is more to it than only strange toys in a store. This is not a zany CGI fest from beginning to end. There is real human emotion, and in some moments, may pull on a heartstring or two.
Heya

Sorry I didn't love the movie more, but I did feel it was a bit too similar to Willy Wonka in spirit. I had trouble not comparing Hoffman to Wilder, etc.

I didn't hate Mr. Magorium at all, and I admit I'm a bit tough on movies because I see so many of 'em!

BTW, I tend to resist endless plot recap in reviews. I feel things are spoiled way too much these days, so I prefer to give just a skeleton overview of the main points, to keep some mystery...

God knows, today's trailers tell us everything already!!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM

If you ask me, there was a problem with character and story development. The premise was great, Hoffman was great, but do you ever really get any emotional moments (like there should be) with the kids or with Hoffman? I didn't. I still think it's worth a watch.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:21 PM

Entertainment Weekly hated this film giving it an F. They said it was made for kindergardeners and no other movie going group. Lame.